Method Community

How to create a box to correspond with a column and automatic actions after entry

Last post 08-27-2012 4:15 PM by Method_Valbon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2012 6:29 PM

How to create a box to correspond with a column and automatic actions after entry

I would like to create a Column in the Customer Contact list that provides information on % complete per job. When this percentage is entered I need it to automatically keep a visible record of the person's name that edited/updated the information as well as the date and time it was done. This should be visible within the column or next to it. I want to be able to go inside each individual customer/job and go to a box and enter a percent complete and then have it reflect on my column. The column should not be allowed for editing. Editing will take place inside the individual customer in a box that I have to create and I need it to automatically save the person signed in, that edited this info (name of person, date and time) , and all the info (the %, name,date,time) to reflect automatically to its assigned column.

Sample chart of info I need to show in column and with customer:

% Complete:
    100%

Job ready to be closed?: Yes/No  
      % Updated Last By: Name, Date & Time  
    Primary Billing: Amount of Contract

• 08-27-2012 11:21 AM In reply to

Re: How to create a box to correspond with a column and automatic actions after entry

Answer

@dottie,

There's more than one way to do something like this. Here are my thoughts on a simple approach.

First off, you would need to define which existing fields or add new custom fields for the data. I assume you will want to use the Customer table. Possible fields would include:

1. JobPercent - a an integer or decimal field
    2. LastUpdatedBy: - use a drop down field and reference the existing user table displaying the name field
    3. LastUpdatedOn: - use a date/time field

One approach would be to add these 3 fields to the CRM_EditCustomer screen. Make all the actions run when the % changes by adding actions to 'lose focus' of the JobPercent (or whatever you call it). Your actions could similar to what is below.

1. Show message - prompts the user to save or cancel the changes to the % field. If they click ok then proceed.
    2. Update field in table - updates the fields in the customer table for LastUpdatedBy with the user logged in and LastUpdatedOn with the current date/time. Both of these can be found via value from session.
    3. Add linked fields to the Contacts table for each of the 3 fields you added to the customer table. Customize>>>Tables / Fields. Edit the contacts table to add linked fields. You can reference the Entity and use the same field names to be consistent. Now any time you save something to the customer it will automatically populate the contacts area.
    4. Add these fields to the grid for customers and contacts.

Hope I didn't lose you. We can give more general feedback here or perhaps call in to speak to one of our consultant's about getting this done. 

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 08-27-2012 1:13 PM In reply to

Re: How to create a box to correspond with a column and automatic actions after entry

I followed all the steps and even created my columns in the customer listfor all 3 fields. The only problem I am having at the moment, is I want to check that I entered my actions correctly, and even though I dragged all 3 fields to the grid for both the customers and contacts, they are not reflecting in the live screen inside the individual customer. The fields are only visible in the columns. So I do not have anywhhere to enter the percent complete or to see the updated by and updated date/time inside the customer, which pretty much leaves my columns blank. Any suggestions?

• 08-27-2012 2:24 PM In reply to

@dottie - did you drag the fields onto the CRM_EditCustomer screen? This is also where you would start to add the logic and actions.

To be clear the suggestion above allows you to edit the % on the CRM_EditCustomer screen and then view these on the same screen and/or the Customer and Contacts List. It does not allow changes to be made directly on the grid though…you'd have to add that if desired.

Have you ever spoken to one of our consultants guru's? They'd be able to assist you with this and you can start with a small amount of time like half hour to get you started. Feel free to call in for consulting or reach out to your account manager.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 08-27-2012 3:24 PM In reply to

Yes, I did drag the fields onto the CRM_EditCustomer(2) screen that I copied. I dont mind that I cannot make changes directly on the grid, I actually prefer this. I think that the problem is, when I am in the Customer/Jobs Contact list and I click on the Go to... on a specific customer and I hover over that screen, which must be the edit customer screen, it indicates that I am in the CRM_EditCustomerscreen NOT in my CRM_EditCustomer(2) screen. So it is not accessing the copied CRM_EditCustomer(2) screen. I noticed that my new fields, do show on my new customer screen and when I hover over the new customer screen, it does indicate it is accessing my CRM_NewCustomer(2) screen. However, it is not doing the same for edit customer. Do you think this is the problem? How can I fix that?

• 08-27-2012 4:15 PM In reply to

@dottie

When you made a copy of the screen which of the following options did you choose?

Copy Screen Wizard Step 3 of 3
    Choose a Tab to add a Tab Link to:

Do not add a Tab Link
    Replace links to an existing screen:
    Add a Tab Link

If you chose to ‘Replace links to an existing screen’ it would have replaced all links pointing to our original screen with your new customized screen. If you look at your list of screens under the Customize tab you should still see our original in that list.

If you did not select the option to replace the screens it can still be done. Copy your custom screen and in step 3 of 3 in the copy wizard select the original screen name (our original) as the option for "Screen To Replace Links:". This will go through and replace links to our original screen with the copied version you are about to make. You can then delete the first custom version since you won't need it any more.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)