Method Community

Sales Rep

Last post 08-27-2012 2:30 PM by MikeB. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2012 8:43 AM

Sales Rep

I changed the sales rep for a number of customers in the Edit Customer screen. My dashboards now reflect these new rep associations.

However, sales orders (invoice screen) still populate the Sales Rep field with the old rep, and when I export the Customer table, the old rep associations are there as well.

Is there a reason why this is happening? Am I going to have to export/modify/import the Customers table?

Thanks

• 08-27-2012 11:17 AM In reply to

Re: Sales Rep

Perhaps I need to change the Contacts table as well?

It's a bit confusing because in QuickBooks I can change the rep association for individual customers on the main customer page, but there is no similar option for job types. A customer's job types all have to have the same sales rep as the customer "entity", right?

But in Method, if I change the sales rep in the Edit Customer screen and then drill down into the contacts, the contacts still reflect the old rep association.

• 08-27-2012 11:31 AM In reply to

Answer

Mike - two parts to this answer.

If you make this kind of change in Method it will not go back and make changes to previous records. In other words, you are telling Method to change the rep for future records.

As a side note, you could run a button with some actions and criteria to update the past entries with the new rep. Start a loop through a table and Update Fields in table would be the actions you'd be looking at. Please be careful if you have never used these actions or attempted customization as you do not want to do a mass update to records you never intended to update.

QB may use the same info for address, rep and other details for the main entity and all related jobs. In Method however, we allow you to specific different details for customer vs job which can prove useful in many situations. My suggestion is to make these changes in QB which would then sync to Method or customize Method to do the same.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 08-27-2012 11:55 AM In reply to

I'm not concerned with hostorical sales orders, just ones going forward.

So here's what happens:

1. At the Account Name level on the Edit Customer screen, I can change the sales rep and it's fine. The new sales rep appears when I re-open, and it appears in the Customer List screen

2. For a "Main Account" job type, I can change the rep to the new rep and save, but the old rep comes back when I re-open. A new sales order made from this job type has the old rep in it

3. For other (eg. staff) job types, I can change the rep, save the screen and the new rep stays - the old rep no longer appears. A new sales order made from this job type has the new rep in it

Something is not allowing me to change this Main Account job type sales rep. Furthermore, my sales dashboards, which are supposedly based on Main Account job type sales only reflects the changes to the new rep.

I am now thoroughly confused.

• 08-27-2012 2:18 PM In reply to

Mike,

MikeB:
    For a "Main Account" job type, I can change the rep to the new rep and save, but the old rep comes back when I re-open. A new sales order made from this job type has the old rep in it

What do you mean for a "Main Account" job type? Are you working with a custom Method screen that does some logic based on a certain job type?

MikeB:
    For other (eg. staff) job types, I can change the rep, save the screen and the new rep stays - the old rep no longer appears. A new sales order made from this job type has the new rep in it

Since the process works for job types of "Staff" I am assuming there is some customization that has taken place…please correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe it would be best if we look at this through some consulting? If there is an issue with our standard screen there will be no charge. We can continue to try the forums if you wish.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 08-27-2012 2:30 PM In reply to

Answer

Each customer in QB can be assigned job types. When assigning a sales rep in QB you assign it to a customer, and it applies to all job types. In Method, this does not appear to be the case. For all our clients we have a job type called "Main Account" and then other job types exist for personal/staff orders.

So...in Method I changed the sales rep for a customer, but the old sales rep is still present when I drill down to the job type level. I change them all to the new rep at that level, but when I go back in, the sales reps associates with "Main account" job type does not want to keep the changes. Maybe it's just for one particular (or specific) customer, maybe not. Other customers reflect the changes I make

The strange thing is, I believe that in QB, invoices are created under the new sales rep, as all job types refer to the custmer's sales rep. However, in Method, invoices created under certain job types have the old sales rep. The new sales rep didn't take.

Could this perhaps be a Customer/Contacts table issue? In other words, is the Contacts table Method-only? Does that need to be exported/changed/re-imported?

UPDATE: The changes now seem to be taking. I have no idea why they weren't being reflected for certain customers/job types. I'm doing the exact same things as this morning. Very glitchy?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)