Method Community

new copy of invoice -Tab link choose and limitation

Last post 09-14-2012 1:17 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-12-2012 2:45 PM

• karen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-12-2012
    • Posts 3

new copy of invoice -Tab link choose and limitation

Hello,

I want to create/ add a new invoice screen/view to limite the user  (1) on step 3 which one do I need to choose ? and what's the different if I choose other options? (2) also how do I limit the invoice access by "sale rep" , for example: Tom as a sale person, login as Tom, and he can only read the invoice which rep is assigned under: Tom  not other invoices. (3) If I also want Tom can read , edit and update his own customer information, NOT EDIT INOVICE, what should I do it ?   Thank you for your time!

Step 3 of 3: Tab Link
    Choose a Tab to add a Tab Link to:
    Screen To Replace Links:

• 09-13-2012 1:09 PM In reply to

• karen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-12-2012
    • Posts 3

Re: new copy of invoice -Tab link choose and limitation

Can someone help ? Thank you !

• 09-13-2012 1:58 PM In reply to

Answer

hi karen,

karen:
    on step 3 which one do I need to choose ?

On step 3, when copying a screen, the options presented mean:

Do not add a Tab link: This will not add your copied screen to any tab.  Your screen will only be accessible through the Customize > Screens section or if you call the screen as a popup through an action.

Replace links to an existing screen: This option should only be used if you're sure of what you're doing - this will replace any go to tab link actions on stock screens to your new screen.  E.g. if you copied the invoice screen and used this option, any go to tab link action pointing to the original invoice screen will now be directed to your new screen.  Typically you would only use this option if you've already made the changes you want and you're sure this screen works the way you want.

Add a tab link: This will add the copy of the screen to an existing tab you select from the drop down.

karen:
    also how do I limit the invoice access by "sale rep"

The best way to handle this to create a custom tab and tab group for your sales reps.  Start by clicking Customize > Tabs and create a new tab called Sales - on step 3 make sure your new tab is visible in the CRM tab group so you have access to it.  The next screen will allow you to select which screens will be seen on the tab link navigation bar (the text links just below your tabs).  I've added the QuickBooks_Invoice screen here and given it the tab link name of Invoices.  Click Finished editing tab links when you're done here.

Next you'll want to click Customize > Tab Groups and create a new tab group called Sales.  On step 3 select the users who will see the tab group then on step 4 make sure you deselect everything and only enable the new Sales tab you created above to be visible here.  Then click Add Tab Group.

After you've setup the tab and tab group click Customize > Users and click Edit beside the user you're trying to limit access for.  Click next a few times utill you reach step 4, here you want to give them access to only one tab group, sales.  Just below this list you'll want to change the tab group the user see's when they sign in to the sales tab group.

What we've done here is create a new tab group and a new tab specifically for your sales rep.  You may want to add additional screens to their tab as needed.

karen:
    Tom as a sale person, login as Tom, and he can only read the invoice which rep is assigned under: Tom  not other invoices.

This customization is a little more detailed as you're going to have to edit the invoice screen and edit the grid that displays the invoices.  On step 3 of the grid properties you have the option to build custom filters - I would ask that you review a copy of other screens that use grid filters like the customer list screen.  Building your filter rules are fairly easy and in your case you'll want to filter based on AssignedTo; Equal to: Value from session: User- Employee / Vendor.

~C

• 09-13-2012 2:43 PM In reply to

• karen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-12-2012
    • Posts 3

Chad, thank you so much for the details.

I am still confuse about "Replace links to an existing screen", like said, if this new invoice screen is created for sales person only ( they can only read invoice, cannot edit and print save,,) so I need to choose it right , that's mean any new invoice come in or change , they will see the exactly same ( but cannot edit). If I choose “add a tab link" the new tab will replace the existing tab correct (invoice 2 tab will replace invoice 1)

Thank you again !

• 09-14-2012 1:17 PM In reply to

Answer

karen:
    so I need to choose it right

I think your best option is to add a tab link based on the reply.  Make sure you add the tab link to your new tab for sales people that way you can keep your original invoice page available for your own purposes.  

karen:
    If I choose “add a tab link" the new tab will replace the existing tab correct (invoice 2 tab will replace invoice 1)

What you describe here is actually what the replace tab links option will do.  If you chose replace tab links when making the copy then invoice 2 would replace invoice 1.  Choosing add a tab link will keep invoice 1 and add another screen for invoice 2.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)