Method Community

Customer & billing address does not automatically populate

Last post 11-02-2012 12:19 PM by dottie. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2012 11:26 AM

Customer & billing address does not automatically populate

When I enter a new job for an existing customer, and select the job of customer, the billing address and info for the customer selected, does not automatically populate.

How can this info automatically populate instead of retyping in all the existing customer info?

• 09-24-2012 12:53 PM In reply to

Re: Customer & billing address does not automatically populate

Answer

dottie:
    How can this info automatically populate instead of retyping in all the existing customer info?

Each job of a customer is supposed to be a separate contact so there are no stock actions built to automatically fill in the billing and shipping addresses.

If you want to build the action for this you'll need to use a Retrieve Value From Table to lookup the billing and shipping address for the ParentFullName you select with the job of customer dropdown.  You'll probably want to create this action when the dropdown for job of customer changes.  Without providing a step by step here's an overview of the actions required:

1. Retrieve Value From Table Customer using ParentFullName.
    2. Enter Value Into Field On Screen - entering your BillAddressAddr1, BillAddressAddr2, BillAddressAddr3 from the retrieve value action in the step above.

If you get stuck at all post up on this thread and I'll do my best to help you along.  You may also want to consider booking a short session with a consultant to help you on this.
    ~C
  • 10-08-2012 8:40 AM In reply to

I used retrieve value from table under the Job of customer field when text changes.

It asks me

From Table: Customer

From Field: Parent Full Name

Where Field: ?

Value Is: ?

Place Value In: ?

I tried various scenarios but nothing worked.

• 10-08-2012 9:51 AM In reply to

Or you could create the job in QuickBooks, if that's possible with your workflow?

-Mary Longacre
  • 10-08-2012 1:33 PM In reply to

We will only be using Method to create jobs.

• 10-08-2012 2:27 PM In reply to

dottie:
    I tried various scenarios but nothing worked.

Have a look at my screenshot here to see how I've done this:

These are my actions on the job of customer dropdown and I'll explain each action below.  You'll need to do the customization on your own but this should help you get there.

1. For this action I simply get the job of customer text from the drop down and put it into an Action Result called jobOfCustomer so it's handy.
    2. I start a loop through the Customer table where FullName = jobOfCustomer (from above).
    3. Steps 3-6 get's the value from row (since we're in a loop) for each part of the BillAddressAddr and puts them into a different action result so I can use them later.
    4. End your loop.
    5. My last action is just a show message window to print out all the address lines I gathered to make sure everything looks correct.  You'll probably want to do something similar while testing before creating the actions that'll enter value into field on screen.

In my previous post I mistakely asked you to compare ParentFullName but that's incorrect, you want to compare job of customer (ParentFullName) to the FullName from the customer table to get the correct BillAddressAddr fields.

~C
  • 11-02-2012 12:19 PM In reply to

this worked. thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)