Method Community

Report Designer - "Label" vs "xrLabel"

Last post 10-24-2012 4:27 PM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2012 3:12 PM

Report Designer - "Label" vs "xrLabel"

Hi Method Gang,

I am trying to get the client phone number to come up on my work order report.  I click and drag the field onto the report but it does not come up on the print out.  The difference that I can notice is in the Property Grid (right side of screen).  The info that does come up on the printed report is called "xrLabel".  The phone number activity that I added only says "Label" - and does not come up on the report.

Thank you for your help.

BB

Bobbie
  • 10-23-2012 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: Report Designer - "Label" vs "xrLabel"

Answer

bobbie56:
    I click and drag the field onto the report but it does not come up on the print out.

From which table and what field are you dragging out.  I quickly built a report off the activity table and used the ContactsPhone field to get the phone number.  My field is named Label1 and it displays the phone correctly.  There should be no difference between xrLabel and Label - those are just naming references for the object on screen.

Have you checked the customer records you're printing to make sure there are phone numbers included?  Not all of my records have phone numbers so when I print my report I have a lot of blank fields where a phone should be.  

Try deleting the field in the designer window and drag it out again from the field list.

~C

• 10-23-2012 10:22 AM In reply to

Hi Chad,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I filled in every blank in the customer screen (test 1, test 2, etc) just to be sure there was no mis-labeling.  I clicked and dragged ContactsPhone, ContactsMobile and ContactPhoneNumber.  Still everything is blank.  I checked the Label Appearence - background colour = transparent and forground colour = control text (a black rectangle is shown).  This is the same info for the "BillAdress1".  The only difference is that one description text is regular and one description text is in bold .

Any other avenues to try?  Thanks for your help.

BB

Bobbie
  • 10-23-2012 11:06 AM In reply to

bobbie56:
    Any other avenues to try?

Let's try from a brand new report, I'm not sure what's happening in the current report because ContactsPhone, ContactsMobile and ContactPhoneNumber should contain the values if there is data in your activity table.

From a new report I selected the Master table Activity and gave it a name:

Then inside the detail band I dragged out Activity.ContactsName and Activity.ContactsPhone.

After clicking preview I was able to see a list of all my activity ContactsName and ContactsPhone.

Try this and let me know how it goes.

~C

• 10-23-2012 5:36 PM In reply to

Hi Chad,

Thanks.  I just tried to create a fomr from scratch (based on "work order type")  I added "ContactName","ContactsEmail",  "ContactsPhone", ContactsMobile", "ContactPhoneNumber" .  None of the info comes up.  

Perhaps it is how are entering our info... We enter our customer data in either the "Customer" , "Estimates" - "New Customer" pop-up window  OR "Customer" "Edit "client name""

Would it make a difference what screen the data was entered in?  (How do I do a screen shot so I can show you what is going on? - Thanks!)

Thank you!

BB

Bobbie
  • 10-24-2012 4:27 PM In reply to

bobbie56:
    I just tried to create a fomr from scratch (based on "work order type")  I added "ContactName","ContactsEmail",  "ContactsPhone", ContactsMobile", "ContactPhoneNumber" .  None of the info comes up.

It's hard to figure this one out without actually seeing your report.  Did you follow my steps above to create a simple report from the Activity table?  I'm curious to know if that worked for you.  From what you said above I assume you're also creating a report from the Activity table?  If you could provide some screenshots from the report designer I can try to help out a little more.

bobbie56:
    Would it make a difference what screen the data was entered in?

No - the data entered in the new customer and estimates screen are all accessible in the report designer depending on the master table you pick.  Try my simple report from above and you should see your customer data provided they have work orders in your system.

bobbie56:
    How do I do a screen shot so I can show you what is going on?

If you're on Windows 7, press the start button and type snip, the snipping tool will allow for screen shots.  If you're on Windows XP you can use print-screen then open up MS Paint and paste the screenshot then save it.  Once you have the screen shot you can upload it here.

~C

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)