Method Community

HTML Link in "Send Email" Message

Last post 01-22-2013 7:34 AM by NeilRick. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2013 11:04 AM

HTML Link in "Send Email" Message

I have a link to our company's survey page being sent out to clients using a Type In AR for my message field in a "Send Email" action:

<a href="www.parknpool.com/client_survey_1005.php">Click Here for Survey</a><br>

When I tested this in Outlook it worked fine but on my Yahoo and Gmail accounts I can mouse over the link which is colored as a link and changes color when moused over. However you can not click the link and go to the survey.

I have tried adjusting internet settings and all the different internet browsers. I looked for somthing in the security settings of Gmail and Yahoo and came up with nothing.

Any ideas on whats going wrong?

• 01-04-2013 11:17 AM In reply to

Re: HTML Link in "Send Email" Message

Neil,

Have you tried using "http://" at the front of your address?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-04-2013 11:44 AM In reply to

Thank you for the reply Adam and after trying this I unfortunately have the same result.

• 01-04-2013 1:00 PM In reply to

Neil,

I did a quick test using your exact code posted on the forum and was able to have the link work in Gmail.  All I did was create a new screen with a button and a Send Email action, and put the code in the body.  Is that where your code is?  Is it part of an action result or typed in?  

You might have a browser setting that may be disabling the link.  I'm not sure off the top of my head what setting that may be though.  I'd double check the code, and then maybe try what I did (create a simple screen with a button) and see if that works.  If it does, then we can at least eliminate the browser as the issue.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-04-2013 2:54 PM In reply to

Currently my main message consists of different Action Results which are strung together with the join action. I tried the new screen and by just typing the URL into the "Send Email Action" body the link worked. So I then tried placing the link in an AR and it again worked. I have checked my code and it is all in place. The only difference is that the Action Results are strung together with the Character Function "Join with two line breaks". Should this matter? Thank you again for all of your suggestions!

• 01-04-2013 4:53 PM In reply to

Neil,

I did a quick setup with action results and I'm getting similar results as you.  I'll have to dive into this a bit further to see if its an issue with the action results.  I can get the link to show in a message, but it doesn't seem to work on Gmail.  Outlook shows the whole code.  This might be an issue, or it could just be something in the way its being done.  I'll also check our system to see if its an existing issue.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-09-2013 2:44 PM In reply to

Thank you for the help Adam. Did you ever conclude if the Character function "JOINS with" is throwing the code or not?

Neil

• 01-09-2013 3:14 PM In reply to

Neil,

I've been testing a number of scenarios to see when the code works and when it doesn't.   I'm getting a bunch of different results depening on where the code is being passed from and viewed on the end result.  I'm going to put in a ticket with the team so they can look at this further.  I'll update this thread when I get more information.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-10-2013 10:54 AM In reply to

Neil,

We've found a fix for you.  If you join an HTML tag as an action result before the code, the link should display properly.  See the screen shot as an example.  ActionResult3 would be your link code.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-10-2013 11:05 AM In reply to

Answer

Neil,

To add to this, make sure to add an closing tag after to make it clean.  You could also use a <br /> tag at the start if you wish.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-11-2013 11:31 AM In reply to

Thank you so much for the help once again. I am still having trouble atm. Let me break down exactly what im doing in my actions.

I have my Action Results made as such.

Contact_AR -holds clients name

Message1_AR-holds first part of my message

Message2-AR-holds the code for the link to my survey (<a href="http://www.parknpool.com/client_survey_1005.php">Click Here for Survey</a>

AE_AR-holds the Account Manager for the client

My Joins are as follows:

Contact_AR Joins Message1_AR= Join1_AR

Type in <html> Joins Message2_AR= Join2_AR

Join1_AR Joins Join2_AR= Join3_AR

Type in </html> Joins AE_AR=Join4_AR

Join3_AR Joins Joins Join4_AR=Join5_AR

For my send email action I am using an AR for the body and it is Join5_AR.

I am still getting the same results. Outlook has the link working but I can see all of my tags and code around the link. Yahoo does not display the link as a link (Just has Click Here for Survey as text). Perhaps I misunderstood your fix or I am doing somthing else wrong?

Thank you once again for your time and help!

Neil

• 01-11-2013 12:55 PM In reply to

Neil,

The <html> tag won't work.  Try using <br /> before the link.  You won't need a closing tag for this, so you'll only have the one instance of it.  

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-14-2013 3:49 PM In reply to

I have now tried using the <br/> tag ahead of my link. I get the desired results when I have a simple Join and just put the AR it produces as my message.

However were the malfunction tends to crop up is if I make multiple joins and have them produce ARs that I then join again and form another AR. I could be stringing to much together. I have tried arranging tags many different ways to get this format to work with no luck. Did you have any success when joining multiple AR's that were the product of the Join Character function?

Thank you again

-Neil

• 01-15-2013 9:22 AM In reply to

Neil,

It's not too many joins, as I was able to replicate it with only one more added join.  I've added this to the ticket.  When I hear back or find a work around I'll let you know.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-15-2013 5:06 PM In reply to

Neil,

I think I've finally solved this.  If you add the tag as the first part of the action result, then at the very end of the action result string, add another ending tag, then it should work.  The link can be placed anywhere in the joins.  I've attached a screen of my actions so you can see.  You can also use <span> at the front and </span> at the back and get the same results.

Also as a tip, instead of using a different action result for each join, you can append each action result to the one sent to the send email action.  You can see in the screen how I used this.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >