Method Community

Quickbooks jobs and Customer portals

Last post 01-16-2013 8:20 AM by Method_Adam. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-15-2013 3:36 PM

Quickbooks jobs and Customer portals

This email came in from Jeff: 

In Quickbooks you can setup jobs under each customer. Are these supposed to show up in the Customer Portal? Maybe I have something configured wrong?

I added a job and invoice to our test customer and it does not appear to show up.  All of our customers have at least one job, sometimes more so this will need to be possible for us.

Jeff,

When you login into the portal as the parent, you can only see the transactions applied to the parent.  If you logged in as the job, you'd see the transactions for that job.  As I understand your question, you'd like to be able to view all of the transactions associated with the jobs as well.  This can be done, but will require customization of the portal screens.

There was a post awhile back that detailed the steps involved.  You can find that thread here.

Hope this helps.

Adam
    Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-15-2013 4:22 PM In reply to

Re: Quickbooks jobs and Customer portals

That link to the old forum thread doesn't work for me. What is the title (search) for that thread?

Also, how does someone from the customer portal log into the "job" instead of the parent? Isn't the login linked to Quickbooks via email address? The Parent and Job have the same email address, but I'm not seeing an option for different accounts at login. Only a field for user name and a field for password. 

• 01-15-2013 4:44 PM In reply to

Sorry Jeff.  My apologies for the link.  I've copied the text below:

To understand your questions I’m picturing a situation where we have Method as the main customer and jobs set up for each of the locations (Chicago, NewYork, LA and etc). So when Method logs in via the portal they should also see the jobs.

This can be done but it requires customization on the portal screens. Include the action ‘Override Filter By Active Record ID’ on each of the portal screens when they load. This will remove the automatic filtering for portals.

Then you simply modify the filters on the grids. As a hint you will want to have the main customer name in this case ‘Method’ displayed on the screen or in a shared result so you can use it to filter the grids. In step 3 of 8 on the grid wizard try filtering the customer field with the condition ‘Customer starts with….’ and use value from screen or shared result which should hold ‘Method'. You should then be able to view info on all jobs for ‘Method’.

Yes, you could also create reports but that might require customization depending on how it’s done on the portal screens.

Hope this helps,

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 01-15-2013 4:55 PM In reply to

Adam,

Just to add some information, this is the default portal which apparently pulls from the Contacts table.

I just read a thread talking about the "older" Customer Portal vs. new Contacts Portal. Not sure if that matters with what you were imagining and how everything should be setup.

I've really only been working with Method CRM since this morning.

• 01-16-2013 8:20 AM In reply to

Answer

Jeff,

There's only one stock Contacts Portal so don't worry about old vs. new.  What the stock screen does is it filters by the active recordID (the logged in customer) and shows only those records.  To customize you would have to use the "Override filter by active record ID" which will remove the automatic filter, thus showing all records.  Then the next suggestion in the post says to filter the grid by looking for records containing the customer from Customer:Job.  By doing this, it will find all records associated with the parent customer.

Since you may be a bit unfamiliar with customization, I'd suggest you go through our webinars on customization.  They will help gain a better understanding of the terms and procedures when customizing your screens.  Those webinars can be found here: Webinars

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)