Method Community

Merge Fields and the Character Function Action

Last post 02-07-2013 10:43 AM by Method_Adam. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2013 1:40 PM

• lynnb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-06-2013
    • Posts 4

Zip it! [:#] Merge Fields and the Character Function Action

Hi,

I am new to Method but have used a number of other CRM;s in the past. I have not ever been the responsible party to set up the "behind the screens" until now. 

I get the concept of the merged fields but I have no clue what to do to set them up. I see the Character Function Action needs to be set up but I do not even know where to begin.

Can ya'll help me please.  

Terribly confused  Tongue Tied

• 02-06-2013 5:02 PM In reply to

Re: Merge Fields and the Character Function Action

Answer

Hi,

I would suggest making a copy of the Listbuilder screen and looking at the actions on the Process All button.  In the action list (at around action 23) you will see the Character Function being used and specifically the merge fields function.  What this does is it takes database terms in the email template (your merge fields) and converts it for the table and field it was meant for.  That function allows you to set the table that needs to be referenced for the merge field.

You can find out more about the merge fields on our Help Center here: Merge Fields

Hope this helps.

Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 02-07-2013 9:59 AM In reply to

• lynnb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-06-2013
    • Posts 4

Adam,

Hi. Ok Thank for this information however… I do not have a “Process All” Button – I see Process your list (as the last step of sending the email) and when I click that there is a “Process Selected” button which only asks if I am sure if I want to process this entire list.

I went to the Merge Field link you sent and it simply says to select Character Function” from the action drop down. Where is this please….

Thank you

Lynn

• 02-07-2013 10:43 AM In reply to

Lynn,

Sorry for the confusion.  You actually need to edit the screen to see the actions.  First, you will need to go to Customize tab > Screens and copy the CRM_ListBuilder screen.  Once copied, you can click edit on the copied screen.  Once there, you can scroll to the bottom of the screen and you should see the process all button (will look like the screen below).  Click edit on the button (far right) and you should see the actions.

As for the link, it seems to work for me.  The merge fields description can be found under the Character Function.  If you scroll down, you will see a "Replace <> fields" heading, roughly halfway down the page.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)