Method Community

trouble creating work order

Last post 09-08-2009 10:05 AM by Anonymous. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2009 6:08 AM

trouble creating work order

Hello!

i am struggling to sort out an issue which i am not sure is a bug, or user error, but i am unable to make a work order, i have not been able to create one since the start, so thats why i dont know if i am doing something wrong, please see attached picture. i try to create a new work order, and after i put the customer in, this appears, i cannot carry on to save because it requires this box to be complete? Thanks for any help

Picture below is after i click on a customers name, this pops up as soon as i have chosen them.

• 09-04-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

Re: trouble creating work order

after the error above, i close the error window and try to save the work order manually, which brings up this screen (ignore the name changes as replicated this at a different time to show)

• 09-04-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

Hello Ryan,

You have 2 options here.

The first one if you haven't done much customization to the "FieldService_AddEditWorkOrder" screen and don't mind losing the changes then try copying the screen from the account and you can then select Replace links to an existing screen in step 3 of the Copy Screen Wizard.

Your next option if you have done customization and don't want to lose it or if the 1st step didn't work then try customizing the screen listed above. Note, if you tried step 1 then you'll be looking for the screen above with (2) at the end of the screen name.

The key field that you need to ensure is on the screen is the "Activity Type" field. You'll see it listed under the 'Add Fields' section if it is not already on the screen, then you'll want to add it. If it is on the screen it may show as "Type" or "Activity Type". Go into the properties of the field, in step 1 ensure the Default Value is Work Order and then click on the Advanced Options and you can make it Hidden. This should get rid of the error. Let me know if it works.

• 09-07-2009 5:59 AM In reply to

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the instructions, Much appreciated!

althought i never modified the original screen i tried replacing it without any luck.

in trying the second attempt i have"un-hidden" the type field, so it is now visible on screen.

i have to make sure a work type is selected before selecting the customer, to avoid error message.

it then appears to work correctly, as far as i am aware, and no errors are displayed on saving and closing the work order.

but the apparent saved work order, does not show up anywhere in the current work orders or calender? i have attached a picture of the layout now with the type field showing.

one thing im not sure about, if the type field is meant to be hidden , im not sure why its there or is it made to be optional ?

workorder with type field

• 09-07-2009 7:18 AM In reply to

just seen the work orders are appearing on the calender but i cannot see then in the current work order page,?

is there a page where i can find out how to use the work order function correctly, i have a feeling this is not working because i am not sure if i am using it correctly :) thanks

• 09-08-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the additional info.  The reason we made the Activity Type field hidden was to prevent users from changing the default value "work order" to anything else.  In your case, I see that you have changed the field to un-hidden and the value to "Plumbing/Gas Work" and this is the reason why it is not showing up on your list of Work Orders. To fix this please make the field hidden and change the default value to work order. Let me know if it works.

To access Field Services documentation you can visit http://www.methodintegration.com/web/self-service-documentation.aspx and check out the Method Field Services Quick Start Guide.

• 09-08-2009 9:45 AM In reply to

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the info, I have set it to hidden, but under the default value drop down list, "work order" isnt there, instead it is all the services i added in the calendar screen for creating a new job on the calendar. as the default value wont let me put it blank i have had to keep it on plumbing. hope this provides a bit more information.

Thanks!

• 09-08-2009 10:05 AM In reply to

Hi Ryan,

In that case you'll need to add Work Order as an Activity Type. To do this you can go to Customer Center > Customer List > Activities, Select a customer from the grid then add a new activity, you would then be able to add a new Activity Type - Work Order by clicking on the 3 dots next to the Type* field. Once this is completed you will then be able to select Work Order as the default value.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)