Method Community

Field Service - Hiding cost information on work order screen

Last post 06-06-2013 9:03 AM by Method_Adam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2013 9:53 AM

Field Service - Hiding cost information on work order screen

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to hide the cost of job items from some users while still allowing them to modify the qty and add new job items to the list. I have created a custom copy of the "Add/Edit Work Order screen" for these users.

On the job items grid, I tried removing the columns for "rate" and "amount". However, whenever a user adds a new job item to the list, the values for rate and amount are set to zero instead of the default amount asscociated with that job item so this causes major problems with quickbooks billing. I can make it so those columns are hidden by default instead, and that works okay... but that still allows users to see the job costs if they click the gear icon and unhide those columns.

Any ideas for how to process?

Thanks,

Alex

Our ultimate goal, to keep it nice and simple:

• 06-03-2013 2:00 PM In reply to

Re: Field Service - Hiding cost information on work order screen

Answer

Hi Alex,

As you found, you can hide the Rate and Amount fields when the screen first loads.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to hide individual columns from certain users.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 06-03-2013 9:19 PM In reply to

Okay, thanks for taking a look Adam.  

What about hiding those columns from all users?  Would that be possible to do without screwing up the billing?

Regards,

Alex

• 06-04-2013 10:42 AM In reply to

Answer

Alex,

This might be possible, but it could be quite complicated.  I'll see if I can come up with something.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 06-05-2013 11:45 PM In reply to

Thank you, if you can take a find anything, that would be great.

(I did figure out how to hide columns from some users - I made two copies of the screen, one with extra columns and one without. Then everywhere that screen is linked to I replace with a conditional statement  "if user group = 'crm'; show edit_workorder_v1; end if; if user group != 'crm'; show edit_workorder_v2; end if".  It's a little bit more of a hassle to maintain future changes but works well.)

• 06-06-2013 9:03 AM In reply to

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet.  I'll keep digging.  

Instead of two screens, you could also employ filter by views.  You could hide the fields on first load and then for one view force the fields to show.  That setting can be found under Advanced in the grid:

You could then use Roles to determine which users can see which filter by views.  One thing to note with this approach is that this feature (hiding filter views based on roles) was part of a project that was not fully implemented.  We only officially support this feature with Tab, tab links and buttons.  If you decide to go this route, I'd recommend fully testing this before deploying.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)