Method Community

Limitations: Intuit Quickbooks Online vs. Quickbooks Desktop for Windows

Last post 04-30-2021 7:40 AM by Bhavleen Kaur. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2013 11:52 AM

Limitations: Intuit Quickbooks Online vs. Quickbooks Desktop for Windows

During our free hour consultation we were unable to address any of our questions about customization. Instead the hour was used for the tech to determine that just one of the issues we were having was due to a software limitation on the part of Intuit Online. Also, we were alerted during this call that Method's report generator is only compatible with windows, causing us to wonder if we needed to switch from a mac.  Despite thoroughly reading forums and help center we were not aware of these issues until this call. 

This left us need a list of *all* of the limitations for integration with Intuit Quickbooks Online and Quickbooks Desktop for Windows.   Right now we are unsure of this software will fit our needs, this information is necessary before any more time is put into using Method CRM.  

So far we know what is listed below, please reply with a complete list of all limitations. 

Intuit Quickbooks Online:

- Pars and Quantity for Service Items cannot be viewed from the CRM

Quickbooks Desktop for Windows: 

- Nothing of limitations 

-

Windows:

- Report Generator is only compatible with windows

- What version of windows do we need to run this program?

Thank you for a speedy reply

Staff at Perfect Brew Services

• 07-22-2013 4:15 PM In reply to

Re: Limitations: Intuit Quickbooks Online vs. Quickbooks Desktop for Windows

Answer

Hi,

First off, I'm sorry to hear you ran into some issues during your hour of consulting.  

With regards to the limitations, I would check out the QuickBooks Desktop SDK Limitations and the QuickBooks Online IPP Limitations on our Help Center.  We have several articles listed there that go over some of the limitations with each version of QuickBooks (Desktop and Online).  Refer to the tree on the left for the other articles.  Feel free to also check out Intuit's own documentation.  The Supported objects for IPP V2 (QuickBooks Online) and Supported Objects for QBD will take you to a listing of objects for each version and outline what can and can't be done for each object.

Something to note is that updates are usually made first to the QuickBooks program itself.  This means that some features you may find available on either QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop, may be new features and are not supported by the current Intuit IPP or QuickBooks SDK.  Those changes can come sometime later or may not come at all.  Therefore, it is hard to keep a complete list of all limitations.  We try to keep the Help Center as up-to-date as we discover them.

As for you question about the Report Designer, it will run on any version of Windows (XP, 7, 8).

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 04-30-2021 7:40 AM In reply to

Re: Limitations: Intuit Quickbooks Online vs. Quickbooks Desktop for Windows

Hi,

To answer your question, I would like to address the main differentiation factor between the two. QuickBooks Online is a SaaS-based application that offers basic accounting tools and features along with the mobility and other flexibility benefits offered by the cloud.

On the other hand, QuickBooks Desktop (for Windows) provides an extensive set of features but is limited to be used on the local system, and there is no remote access or multi-user benefits offered in QuickBooks Online. However, most of the users use third-party hosting providers to get any time anywhere access, scalability, and team collaboration advantages.

Therefore, depending upon your utility, you can select either one of the above.
    I hope my answer would be of some help to you.

Thank you.

Tech. Analyst at https://www.acecloudhosting.com/quickbooks-hosting/
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)