Method Community

Customized Time Tracking Screen not working

Last post 05-29-2008 3:26 PM by Anonymous. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2008 9:37 PM

Customized Time Tracking Screen not working

Ok, note to self & all, COPY a screen before you customize it so you have the original (presumably working) screen before you hose it up.  Sorry I didn't do that and now I can't enter data on my customized Time Tracking screen (cas account).  When I click on "Save" a box pops up that says an error has occurred and an email message has been sent to the Method team. 

After a few minutes thought, I created a copy of the Time Tracking Screen by importing it from the Method library and was back in business, able to enter time, albeit on the originally formatted screen, not on my customized one. 

Can the team tell me what is wrong with my customized Time Entry screen?

Also, can a field hold a calculated value?  (How?)  My client wants a markup field, so I thought I'd also need a field to hold the new total billable time=duration+-markup.  Then I would need to be able to pull the calculated time to an invoice instead of the original duration field entry.

-Mary Longacre

703-299-0802

-Mary Longacre
  • 05-27-2008 10:15 PM In reply to

Re: Customized Time Tracking Screen not working

As I was working on the regular time tracking screen, I got the error message/email notice again.  Is it related to the duration field?  It looks like the duration field doesn't like more than one typed character.  I tried to type in 360 (minutes = 6 hours) but it only displayed the "3" and gave me the error message when I tried to save.  Previous error messages occurred when I typed 4.25 (at first not noticing I was supposed to convert hours to minutes.)  Even when I used the selection arrows at the right edge of the "duration" box (and scrolled all the way to 360, that's nuts) it still gave me the error message (although it did display "360".)

Can I customize the number of digits in this field?  Can I make it hold numbers in units of hours instead of minutes?  Can I change the entry type to be a typed number instead of a list of choices?  I couldn't find where I could edit the field's properties.  I looked at editing the field, or the table, or the screen.  Is editing it not allowed after it's been created or because it's a field in QuickBooks?

-Mary Longacre

703-299-0802

-Mary Longacre
  • 05-27-2008 10:21 PM In reply to

Sorry, to clarify, the errors are only occurring on my customized screen, not on the copy I added from the Library.  But I did not make any changes to the duration field on my customized screen.

-Mary Longacre

703-299-0802

-Mary Longacre
  • 05-29-2008 3:06 PM In reply to

Hi Mary,

So I have been trying to duplicate the same results as you and haven't had much luck.  I did notice an issue if you tried to edit the Duration field and go through the wizard.  It will clear out some of the settings and does produce an error.  I've already emailed the team and we're looking into why this is happening.

I'm still working on answering your other questions.  :) 

• 05-29-2008 3:26 PM In reply to

mlongacre:
    Also, can a field hold a calculated value?  (How?)  My client wants a markup field, so I thought I'd also need a field to hold the new total billable time=duration+-markup.  Then I would need to be able to pull the calculated time to an invoice instead of the original duration field entry.

Hi Mary,

I had a couple of questions for you so I can try and help you out.

1. For the 'Markup' field, does the markup amount change each time? 
    2. Is the markup amount based on customer, employee, vendor or something else?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)