Method Community

calculated fields in Report designer

Last post 08-07-2013 8:22 AM by Method_Adam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2013 2:13 PM

calculated fields in Report designer

Is there a way to have a calculated field that looks at 3 other fields on the report to calculate the total of those three fields?  For example, I have an Opening balance field, a total Charges field and a total received field.  I want to calculate the ending balance by taking the opening balance, subtracting the amount in the charges field and adding the amount in the received field.

Thanks!

• 08-02-2013 7:59 AM In reply to

Re: calculated fields in Report designer

Hi Karen,

I'm assuming the other fields are field on screen?  If so, I would put this calculated field in whatever table/screen this report is generated from.  If you don't need the field on screen, you can hide it.  You can then do the calculations on screen, using the Basic Math Calculation actions. Then just use the field in the report like you would any other field.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 08-02-2013 12:09 PM In reply to

Adam,

No, actually I was hoping there was a way to add values in fields on the report together - but it seems like this is not possible.  They are not fields in a Method table/screen.  They are label fields on the report that are summing the amount field from Method.  I want to add 3 "sums" together.

Karen

• 08-05-2013 3:21 PM In reply to

Hi Karen,

You could use calculated fields in the Report Designer.  Just right click on the table at the top right of the designer and add a calculated field.  You can then create an expression to add the values of the fields you want.  It should look like this:

First right click to add the field, then right click again and edit the expression.  The rest is pretty straighforward, just select your fields and the operators.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 08-05-2013 8:22 PM In reply to

Thanks Adam, but as I already said, they are REPORT fields, not Method fields, so they do not show up in the fields list as fields that I can calculate with.  If there is a way to calculate on REPORT fields I would love to hear it!

To clarify,  what I have done in my report is used 3 label fields to add together three different amount fields from three different Method tables.  I am hiding the 3 detail columns and so all you see on the report are three totals - Beginning Balance, Total Receipts, and Total Charges.  I want to now take the value in the Beginning Balance REPORT field (which is a sum of a hidden field), add the Total Receipts (another sum of a hidden field) and subtract the Total Charges (third sum of a hidden field) to get Ending Balance.  

Thanks!

Karen

• 08-07-2013 8:22 AM In reply to

Answer

Karen,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I was doing some research and found this post that explains how to add summary fields together.  Is this what you may be looking for?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)