Method Community

Email problem

Last post 09-16-2013 1:55 PM by nicolalogworks. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2013 10:20 AM

Email problem

We have tested our default email preferences and received the test email immediately after the test, so our email setup seems to be fine, but when we try to send an email to several recipients through the Listbuilder function, it does not seem to be working.  We did not get any error messages, and it was only a test email to 3 internal recipients, not a mass mailout, but none of them received it.  We are using gmail.  Does anyone know what the problem could be?

• 09-16-2013 10:34 AM In reply to

Re: Email problem

Hi nicolalogworks,

There are two things I can think of.  One is that you may have not checked the "Send email?" checkbox on Step 4.  If so, then the emails won't be sent.  The other is that on Step 5 when you process the list, you selected to only process checked rows, and your three contacts from Step 2 were unchecked.

Would either of these be possible?  Did the contacts clear from the list in Step 2?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 09-16-2013 10:52 AM In reply to

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your quick reply!  We did all of the things you suggested, checked the "send email" checkbox, and selected to process all rows, not just checked ones. However, I just sent another test email and this time I selected an email template, which I had not done the previous times. For the first couple of test emails I just selected by contacts and then typed a message in the message box.  When I choose a template instead of typing a message, it goes through.  I assume this is because the ListBuilder is intended for mass emails for which you would always use a template? 

• 09-16-2013 11:31 AM In reply to

I've tested this on two different account and mine sent without choosing a template.  While the templates are nice, they are not required.  I've also tried multiple scenarios to try and replicate your issue and can't seem to do it.  Could you try this again, specifically without choosing a template?  

Did you do anything else in between the unsuccessful and the successful attempts?

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 09-16-2013 11:59 AM In reply to

Adam, I just tried again and noticed that if I choose the "blank" template from the email template list, it will send - but if I do not choose a template and just type in a message, it still will not send.  I did the two emails right behind each other so nothing changed in-between.  Could it have something to do with the fact that the templates pre-fill the "from" and "name" fields, whereas I do it manually when I don't choose a template?  

• 09-16-2013 1:14 PM In reply to

In a way yes. The templates will auto-fill those fields, so there is less chance of something being typed incorrectly if you do this yourself.  The only way I've been able to even come close to reproducing this is to put in an email without the correct format for the 'Email From' field (like missing the @ symbol). Method will send the email, but it will get blocked on the receiving end for not having a valid email address. Is it possible this may be the case?

If you can continually reproduce this, feel free to give us a call and demonstrate this over a remote session.  If there's something we can fix, we will.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 09-16-2013 1:27 PM In reply to

Adam, that was the problem!  I had put our company name into the "from" field and my name into the "from name" field... I guess I assumed that since our email address is set up in the email preferences, it would automatically use that as the sender and just wanted the company name and sender name in those fields.  Once I entered our actual email address in the "from" field, it worked even without selecting a template.  The templates pre-fill the "from" field with the email address, that's why it went through each time I selected a template.

Thank you so much for your help - problem solved!!

• 09-16-2013 1:42 PM In reply to

Glad to hear it was something that simple.  The default email preferences tell us which server to send the email through (we send to your SMTP server, from there it goes to the recipient).  The actual email is created in the Listbuilder, which is why you still need to specifiy the From email address.  If this isn't there, the email will be blocked.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 09-16-2013 1:55 PM In reply to

Thanks again, Adam, you've been very helpful. Have a good day!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)