Method Community

Deleting Notes in the Edit Customer screen

Last post 12-05-2013 11:38 AM by MikeB. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2013 9:13 AM

Deleting Notes in the Edit Customer screen

When I try to delete the contents of the Notes field on our Edit Customer screen, the note keeps reappearing. I even did a separate test where I linked a copy of our Customer List screen to open a copy of the (stock) CRM_Edit_Customer screen, to which I had added the Notes field (it's not in the original stock screen). I deleted the note contents from there and it still reappeared.

Any advice on this issue? It's extremely difficult to do any type of cleanup or customization when simple things like this are not functioning - and for no apparent reason.

Thanks

• 12-05-2013 11:12 AM In reply to

Re: Deleting Notes in the Edit Customer screen

Hi Mike,

It looks like QuickBooks doesn't like receiving an empty field after it has been populated.  I did several tests based off what you said, and agree if you add a note in Method for a Customer, sync to QuickBooks, then try to blank out the note from Method, QuickBooks doesn't allow this blank value, so it keeps the original note.  I did find however, if I remove this note in Method, but keep a single character, for example ".", then after a sync the note does get updated correctly in QuickBooks and Method.  Now, if you were to delete the note completely from within Quickbooks it will sync over just fine, and both Method and QuickBooks will now have a blank note.

I am going to bring this up to our development team to see if there is anything Method can do about this, however I am not sure anything will be possible on our side.  I will post here when I receive some feedback.

On a side note, you mention you added the notes field to your EditCustomer screen because it is not there by default.  If you were to click the "More Actions..." button from the bottom of the stock EditCustomer screen, there is a "notes" option here that provides a pop-up screen with a large Notes area for that customer.  I believe Method would have designed the screen this way because we didn't want the screen to seem cluttered with too many fields, and because this allows for a larger area to create the custom note.

-Ben 

• 12-05-2013 11:35 AM In reply to

Mike,

Just an update about my comment on why notes are located where they are on the EditCustomer screen.  This was done because we didn't want our users to mistake using notes as Activiites.  The notes section was added to the More Actions button so that a user in Method would be able to easily access/view any notes for a Customer that may have been added from QuickBooks.

-Ben

• 12-05-2013 11:38 AM In reply to

Interesting - thanks. I was wondering why it wasn't there but why I was able to drag the Notes field in from the field list. I had to check the Entity/Customer tables first

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)