Method Community

Grids and RefNumbers

Last post 12-09-2013 10:29 AM by Method_Adam. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2013 8:26 PM

Grids and RefNumbers

Just a quick question.

In Quickbooks, there's a Quick Report called Inventory Items which shows the transaction history of a given inventory item. There isn't an equivalent that I could see in Method so on the Item screen I've added two tabs, one for Purchase Order History and one for Sales Order History, with corresponding grids, and both seem to be working quite well. We really only use this to compare pricing arrangements between different jobs, but it's pretty critical for us.

The only challenge is that I can't seem to actually bring in the PO or SO numbers into the grids at all. I can bring in the RecordID, which looks like the ID that Method uses, but isn't the PO or SO number. That's in the RefNumber or RefNum field in QB usually, but those fields aren't available when pulling into the grid based on PurchaseOrderLineItem or SalesOrderLineItem, and when I try to do a SQL pull, I don't see that field available for the SalesOrder table, and I don't see the PurchaseOrder table as being available at all despite the fact that it's obviously being used by Method to post POs.

Am I looking in the wrong place here?

-S

• 12-08-2013 10:41 AM In reply to

Re: Grids and RefNumbers

Ok so doing a SQL pull from within the field is only relevant if you trying to get numbers which is the reason I can't use that function to grab the RefNumber for an Invoice, PO or SO. So that makes sense.

I have a Start Loop Through Grid that is able to capture all of the RefNumbers, but it doesn't have a place to put them, there doesn't appear to be an option for me to have a blank placeholder field, or one that can contain a variable that isn't a number field, whether that variable is a lookup through the Start Loop Through Grid, or one that kicks off as part of a field's setup within the grid. I've tried updating a Link field with a value but that doesn't really appear to work.

Is there an ability to lookup varchars from other tables which are linked to a record in a grid?

• 12-08-2013 10:49 AM In reply to

Ok now I think I'm starting to figure this out... as someone who lives in SQL and application development some of this wasn't making sense to me because it was sort of backwards, or rather not backwards but the terminology catered to, well, not someone who lives in SQL and application development Smile

It looks like what I should actually do is setup a Linked Field on the InvoiceLine table (and do the same on any child table) in order to bring the RefNumber field in there dynamically, then it will be available as part of a grid that works off of that table.

Is that the right approach?

-S

• 12-08-2013 11:02 AM In reply to

Yep, that's the way.

Thanks for listening to my internal rambling! lol

• 12-09-2013 10:29 AM In reply to

Hi sbradley,

Glad you were able to figure this out. I might actually use this as a reference in the future. I can see it helping other users who may be similarly stuck.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)