Method Community

Bill against a P.O. that has already been received in an Item Receipt

Last post 12-24-2013 9:24 AM by Method_Adam. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-18-2013 3:14 PM

Bill against a P.O. that has already been received in an Item Receipt

Hi there,

Quickbooks allows us to bill against a P.O. for which the items have already been received in an Item Receipt. However, when I try to select a P.O. which has been received in such a manner in the Item Receipt screen, those P.O.s aren't available.

Is there something I'm not doing correctly? Or a setting that needs to be changed to facilitate this?

Thanks,

-S

• 12-19-2013 2:41 PM In reply to

Re: Bill against a P.O. that has already been received in an Item Receipt

Hi Stephen,

Unfortunately, I don't believe this functionality is available in a stock Method account. Just to clarify, are you wanting to create a bill from an item receipt? Or a bill from a purchase order?  

As per this article, an item receipt to bill conversion is not available through the SDK.

Hope this helps,

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 12-19-2013 3:19 PM In reply to

I don't think this is a conversion thing.

If I'm creating a bill, I can associate it with a Purchase Order. When I do this and the items have not been previously received, the items are received now.

This is a situation where we created a PO and sent it to a vendor, and the vendor sent us the items on the PO, but not the bill (yet). In order for us to facililate the invoicing of those items without getting into negative stock messiness, we need to receive the items into our inventory regardless of whether we have a bill or not.

So, we create the Item Receipt and associate it with a PO. This receives the items into our inventory without creating a bill.

Later on, we will receive a bill. So we have to create a bill and link it to a PO. That's fine, the basic functionality is there, but I can't see POs that have their items already received as an Item Receipt.

We don't want the items to be received again of course, until we create a bill the Accounts Payable gl won't get hit; Items receipts just receive the items, there's no AP impact.

This is along the same lines as what was discussed in this thread:

http://method.me/cs/forums/p/3268/12481.aspx#12481

Logically, if we send out a PO to a supplier, there must be a bill at some point later on that we can tie to that PO, regardless of whether that PO's items get received; somebody has to pay for them at some time.

• 12-19-2013 3:38 PM In reply to

Ok I suspect what's happening is that the business user is giving me bad information on what they were doing in Quickbooks.

I should be trying to emulate this functionality:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/enter-a-bill-if-you-have-recorded-an-item-receipt0.html

I'm going to confirm some stuff and probably proceed on this basis.

• 12-19-2013 3:48 PM In reply to

Stephen,

My apologies, there is a button on the Item Receipt screen to select a Purchase order.  If you select the Items tab when entering the receipt, you should see a Select PO... button.  Here are some screens:

This will bring up a screen to select the open purchase orders from the vendor. I think this is what you are looking for. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 12-23-2013 1:08 PM In reply to

Answer

Thanks Adam,

Yeah, so it turns out my users were not being completely upfront about what they were actually doing in Quickbooks (despite having some very convincing screenshots). This is definitely a situation where they are trying to convert an Item Receipt into a Bill.

Since that's not supported by the SDK and I'm a little worried that trying to simulate this action in Method will just mess up a balance somewhere, I'm having one of our few QB people handle those going forward.

Thanks for the assistance!

• 12-24-2013 9:24 AM In reply to

Stephen,

I'm glad you got this sorted out.

Happy Holidays!

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)