Method Community

Email Template

Last post 10-28-2010 5:05 PM by Anonymous. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-03-2009 2:37 PM

Email Template

Hi I would like to be able to generate an email template with the following

dear customer name

you have the following outstanding invoices.

invoice number      invoice amount

Total amount

Please pay as soon as you can.

How do I go about this,is there a book or reference or something.

Please Help.

• 12-03-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: Email Template

I have tried this but it doesn't work.

Dear Customer.FirstName,

This is a reminder that your balance is overdue.

The current balance is Customer.Balance.   Please pay this as soon as possible.

Invoices Outstanding Invoice.RefNumber, Invoice Amount Invoice.Amount

Users.EmailSignature

• 12-03-2009 3:39 PM In reply to

What does this mean and how do I do it.

If you are not the designer of your system, this step should already be done for you.  If you are a designer, however, you'll need to do some extra work to make sure that the merge fields actually get replaced with real values.  For every table used in merge fields, you'll need to run a Character Function action, specifically the 'Replace merge fields' command, to replace the merge fields with real values.

P.s should I have got a manual on how to customise when I signed up, cos When your stuck there is no help or nowhere to look.

• 12-03-2009 4:51 PM In reply to

Hey,

What you are trying to do is use merged fields, this will retrieve a value from the table and place it into your email. To make Merged Fields work, you'll need to run a Character Function action for every table used in merge fields, specifically the 'Replace merge fields' command, to replace the merge fields with real values.

The character function action will need to go into the button that is sending the email. A screen you can look at for reference on how to do this, is the “New Activity” screen.

If you  copy this screen and go down to the “send an email” section, edit the dropdown list for “Choose a template”. You will find an example of the action “Replace Merge Fields” here.

This should get you going in the right direction

• 12-04-2009 3:25 AM In reply to

Thanks for coming back to me Ryan.

However I am trying to use it on the list builer screen. The button that I use to send email on this screen is the process all button. Is this the button I need to add the action, character function or is it on the email template button ?

• 12-04-2009 8:15 AM In reply to

Hey,

The List Builder screen currently allows you to send email, since you are working with that screen, you should copy it instead of Activity screen. Take a look into the "Process All" button.

This will get you heading in the right direction.

• 12-04-2009 9:15 AM In reply to

kierank:

Thanks for coming back to me Ryan.

However I am trying to use it on the list builer screen. The button that I use to send email on this screen is the process all button. Is this the button I need to add the action, character function or is it on the email template button ?

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here but if you're sending an email through the List Builder you would want to make sure that you have your "hello" message starting with:

Hi ListBuilder.FirstName

The result if my first name was "Danny" would be:

Hi Danny

The reason you need to use the ListBuilder table, not the Customer table is because the ListBuilder creates its own table baased of the restrictions your provide and is sending emails off that table. So if you are using Customer.FirstName, it is not going to work.

Wink

• 12-04-2009 9:50 AM In reply to

Hey,

Just wanted to agree with Danny, you will not need to do any customization of actions, just confirm that you have your email template pointing to the correct table and fields.

• 12-07-2009 6:36 AM In reply to

Hi Guys I am really confused now. How much would you charge to do the custom work to get this going. What I would like is to be all once a month go to list builder generate a list of customers that have outstanding balances. Email a letter to the customers, with the details of the invoices. i.e

dear customer

Your balance is xxx.xx

Outstanding invoices are

No: 1234  amount is:xx.xx

No: 23455 amount is xx.xxx

and so on.

• 12-07-2009 8:27 AM In reply to

Hey,

If you contact your business consultant, they will e able to get you all of the information. If you do not know who that is, give me a call at

1 888 925 6238   ext 716

I will get you to the correct person.

• 10-23-2010 11:53 PM In reply to

Hi Danny,

I tried your suggestion and it worked for using an email template in List Builder.  Would you please add that to the explanation for "What are merge fields" under "Add/Edit Email Template" or in List Builder itself?  The Add/Edit Email Template page is where webinar #10 on List Builder tells us to change the email templates.  Without your posting, I would have thought I needed to do a "replace merge fields action" like the instructions say.

• 10-28-2010 5:05 PM In reply to

Hi April,

Thank you for your feedback. We have noted your suggestion and will look into it.

Warmest Regards,
    Denis

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)