Method Community

Invoice numbering

Last post 02-26-2014 1:36 PM by John M. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2014 3:57 PM

• Aaron
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2013
    • Posts 2

Invoice numbering

We are having a weird issue with the numbering of invoices.  We have the setting Assign Ref Numbers In Method checked and Method is creating the invoice numbers without an issue for the most part.  The issue that I'm wondering about is back on 01/25/2014 there was an invoice created with the number 7006442-2.  The numbering system proceeded with the (correct) 7 digit numbers it was following before but on Friday 02/14/2014 the numbering sequence switched to an 8 digit numbering system instead of the correct format.  I disabled the Invoice Number text box at the beginning of our subscription to Method so no one could change the numbering sequence in Method and the only time they change the invoice number in QuickBooks is when a Work Order is created (WO-####).

I spoke with Intuit pertaining to QuickBooks and have tested the QuickBooks file's numbering sequence to see if it was causing the issue and everything was working perfectly outside of Method (I am a QuickBooks ProAdvisor).  Do I need to uncheck the Assign Reference Numbers in Method and allow QuickBooks to automatically assign the numbers?  This is unacceptable for the numbers to not be in a numbering sequence. 

• 02-18-2014 9:36 AM In reply to

Re: Invoice numbering

Hi Aaron,

I am not too sure what is going on here, technically you are correct in the sense that if you choose Method to assign ref numbers, then they should be created in sequence.  The only way I can really see this happening is if someone changed the invoice number in QuickBooks, then Method saw this new number and created all future invoices based off this new QB Invoice Number.  For me to get a better idea on what is going here, it would help if you could turn on the MethodSupport user and I could login to your Account and look at these transactions in discussion.

You can turn on MethodSupport by going to Customize-Users, locate the MethodSupport User in the second section of this screen and make sure there is a checkmark in the "Active" column.  Once you have done this, please privately email me your Method CompanyAccount name, as well as some contact information for you.  I can use the Invoice Numbers you mentioned in the above post for examples, however if you have more that you know of, please include these reference numbers in your email also.  You can either send me an email through the forums, or to b.citren@methodintegration.com

I will also attempt to recreate this in my own account, but it would help to see yours first to get a sense of your setup.

-Ben

• 02-26-2014 1:36 PM In reply to

Re: Invoice numbering

Greetings.

I had the same issue a while back. Turns out there was a work order for that customer in a project that had 20 in the number ref number field.  

Got rid of that 20 and i was good to go. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)