Method Community

Activity emails from users

Last post 02-27-2014 8:40 AM by Method_Adam. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2014 1:23 PM

Activity emails from users

We have an account called "Services" (ie services@ABC.com). In some situations emailing an activity and the logged-in user changes the "From" field from their own email to services@ABC.com, the recipient's email says it's from services@ABC.com <admin@ABC.com> on behalf of services@ABC.com

How do I get rid of the admin@ABC.com naming convention and the "on behalf of" stuff? 

• 02-26-2014 9:59 AM In reply to

Re: Activity emails from users

Hi Mike,

First thing I would check is if the Method user's email matches what is in your default preferences. If not, you can also setup the email preferences per user and this may get rid of this.

Something else to check is your mail server's settings.  Depending on your mail server, there may be a setting to remove this. Here is a Gmail discussion about this.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 02-26-2014 10:28 AM In reply to

I will restate the scenario again with a bit more detal:

• I'm logged in as "Nick", who has admin privileges
    • I create an activity and send an email, but change the "From" field from Nick@ABC.com to Services@ABC.com
    • The received email says it's from Services@ABC.com <Nick@ABC.com> on behalf of services@ABC.com

Now, I can stay logged in as Nick, cgo to the Customize/My Account tab and I see that Nick@ABC.com is a default email preference.

If I'm logged in as Services, I don't see the Customize/My Account tab (restricted access right mow) but when I look in My Profile, only the Services@ABC.com email is there and the box is NOT checked to use the default preferences.

So when I'm logged in as Nick (ie. the Admin), is the default email preference for every account? Or is it just for Nick? Should I allow everyone access to this screen for their own purposes? Do I need to set a preferred email address for each person?

This is way more complicated than it should be. All I want to do is send emails with proper "From" addresses. I don't think the server is the problem.

• 02-26-2014 10:32 AM In reply to

P.S. The Services user that I'm testing is set up in Method with its own email address as its default email. If I log in as admin and go to the Customize/Users screen, I can go into Services that this is the case. Other users use the default email (which I may need to change). However, right now I'm testing the Services user.

• 02-27-2014 8:40 AM In reply to

Hi Mike,

Each user can change the default email server.  This is found the in the profile section at the top right of the screen.

For the "on behalf of", this is something that has to do with your email server.  The "on behalf of" is part of a verification process to avoid spam. Some email clients will add this to the email header to show where exactly the email is coming from.  You can find more information about how this works here and here. You should be able to either configure your email server or contact them and find out how to remove this.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)