Method Community

Notes field size limit

Last post 02-27-2014 11:41 AM by VLocke. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2014 1:33 PM

Notes field size limit

Method Team,

Is there a field size limit for the Notes field?  If so, can you tell me what it is?

Thanks,

VLocke

• 02-26-2014 3:11 PM In reply to

Re: Notes field size limit

Hi VLocke,

The Help/Note Object in the screen designer has a limit of 4000 characters.  I had to do a quick test to get this value, I added more than 4000 characters to the note object after dragging it onto my custom screen.  After pasting my 4000+ characters in the note box and clicking Finish, I realized that my note area would save with just a blank value.  I went back into the Note object, pasted my 4000+ characters in the note field again, this time I pressed the Next button, I grabbed a screenshot of the message I received doing it this way.  Hope this helps.

• 02-26-2014 3:33 PM In reply to

Hi VLocke,

It was just pointed out to me by one of my colleagues that my post above might not be what you are looking for.  Were you asking about the Help/Notes object, or about the note/notes fields available in the Customer/Contact.  If you are looking for the limit for the Note or Notes fields for the Customer/Contact table, then the best way to find this is to go to Customize->Fields/Tables, and "Edit" either table to find these fields.  To the right of the field on the next pop-up screen, you can see the maximum size the notes can be.  For the Contacts table, it is 4000 limit, and for the Customer table the limit is 4095.

-Ben

• 02-26-2014 10:06 PM In reply to

Yes, this is what I was looking for - thank you.

• 02-26-2014 10:07 PM In reply to

If I were to creat a new field in Method I would not have this size limit - right?  I could specify the size of the file.

• 02-27-2014 8:25 AM In reply to

VLocke,

In order to figure this out, I attemped creating text fields in a random table, starting with an enormous value.....here is the error message I received:

-Ben

• 02-27-2014 11:41 AM In reply to

Thank you that is great to know.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)