Method Community

Parent/Child Customer Equipment

Last post 03-25-2014 8:03 AM by Anonymous. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-19-2014 5:55 AM

Parent/Child Customer Equipment

I would like to add the parent/child functionality native to Quickbooks and implemented in Method to allow customer equipment to have "children."  This is done in the Customer/Job relationship.  Does anybody have ideas as to how to get started on this.  I give a very simple illustration:

A customer has a truck that includes a tool box.  I would like to make the truck a piece of equipment that belongs to the customer and the toolbox a piece of equipment that belongs to the truck.

I know this is a simplified example but I hope it gets the point across.

Thanks,

Shawn 

• 03-25-2014 8:03 AM In reply to

Re: Parent/Child Customer Equipment

Hi Shawn,

First off, I apologize for taking this long to answer your post, I had to think about your options for this one a bit.  Unfortunately, I don't see any way to do this using the stock tables/fields.  If this is something you really want, then you will have to Customize the "CustomerEquipment" screen, as well as the CustomerEquipment table.  For what you are trying to do, it sounds like you would be able to add some additional fields to your CustomerEquipment Table, like "secondaryEquipment".  Then, you would have to customize your CustomerEquipment screen accordingly to add these additional fields, as well as add whatever logic you need to pull up secondaryEquipment after a main piece of Equipment has been selected.

I hope this helps you visualize what would be needed to get this working.  If you have some more specific questions as you attempt this, please don't hesitate to post here.

-Ben

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)