Method Community

How do I assign to a sales rep by exporting the sales receipt data?

Last post 03-26-2014 10:17 AM by Method_Adam. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-25-2014 10:32 AM

How do I assign to a sales rep by exporting the sales receipt data?

I want to be able to export the sales recieipt and change the sales rep then import this data back into method and have it appear "assigned" to the rep that I changed it to. This is not occuring. The sales receipt itself is changed to the sales rep assigned but it does not get assigned to them in method even though the information got synchronized with QB because of Method. Usually when I changed a rep in QB it would assign the customer to that rep in Method. But that takes too long (one at at time-- I want to change hundreds at a time). Toassign a rep in method I can use the the Customer Table only?? This is too limited. I can't arbitrarily assign a customer to a rep. I need to see the customer's purchase history, therefore thought by using the Sales Reciept table to export that would solve it, just change the rep on their last sales receipt for it to go to the rep that I want. But it doesn't work. Is there a time limiter to when you can change the sales rep in a sales receipt in QB so it would no longer update the sales rep field in the customer table in either QB or Method even after QB and MEthod synchronized?

Why can I only change the assigned rep when I use the Customer table only? I need to assign hundreds of customers at a time to the rep of my choosing based on the information from the sales reciept, not just the info on the customer table which is not much. (I may want to go back to 2011 and assign the rep based on sales reciept data, not customer table data). How do I do this?

• 03-26-2014 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: How do I assign to a sales rep by exporting the sales receipt data?

Hi Nancy,

Unfortunately, what you're looking to do through the Import/Export tool isn't possible out of the box. You could customize your Method screens to automatically update your customer records with the changed rep. I'll explain.

When you are importing or updating a table in Method, you are only updating that table. In your case, this is the SalesReceipt table.  There is no backend logic in Method that would detect that a record got changed and then update a value in another table. Also, if this was the case, you might run into issues if for instance only 1 out of a customer's 8 sales receipts was changed. Which record would trump which? The old sales receipt that was just updated, or the latest one?

Also understand that QuickBooks offers a choice to reassign the customer's sales rep. This isn't done automatically (at least not right away).  It requires input from the user to confirm that they wish to modify the customer's sales rep.

You can certainly customize Method to do the same. I realize you want to mass update records, so for your scenario, you could also customize a screen that loops through the SalesReceipt table and updates the Customer table, SalesRep field with the value from the SalesReceipt table, SalesRep field. In simple terms, the button would loop through your sales receipts and update the sales rep field in the customer table.

If you haven't done any customization before, I'd highly suggest going through our Customization Webinars. They should give you a better understanding of what needs to be done. A project like this can have a varied range of difficulty depending on the logic needed. If you wish to work with a consultant on this, please have a look at our consulting options.

Hope this helps,

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)