Method Community

Grid Calculations

Last post 08-06-2014 10:51 AM by Method_Russell. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-05-2014 3:32 PM

Grid Calculations

Is it possible to run a loop through a grid that runs a basic calculation on two cells in each row and returns a result into a third cell in the same row?

Our estimate line has quantity and our cost per item.  But I'd like to put in a column for our extended cost per line item.  This doesn't seem to be doable with loops and action results, as the first line's extended cost will be placed in the action result but it won't repeat for each additional row.

• 08-05-2014 4:03 PM In reply to

Re: Grid Calculations

Hi Randall,

The default Estimate screen uses calculations on the line items (for example to calculate the amount), so from the sounds of your request this is where you would add additional actions for the extended cost. To get to these actions, first open up the Estimate screen for editing (making a copy if you haven't customized the default screen yet). Then, click on Edit on the Line Items grid. On step 2 of the wizard, click Actions beside item. Then select Text Change on the Event dropdown.

All of the default calculations happen on the Text Changed event of the Item dropdown, so you could add your custom calculations here as well. You would first need to add your Extended Cost column to the grid, then get/set it's value using the necessary actions.

You also have the option of looping through the grid or table it is attached to (in this case EstimateLine), if that works better for your workflow.

You could involve a Method Consultant to help you with this project (http://www.method.me/support/assisted-services/). If you would like to explore this possibility please speak with your account manager.

If you have any quetions about this just let me know.

Regards,

Russell

• 08-05-2014 5:55 PM In reply to

Hi Russell,

I've looked through the calculations on that page, and I don't see anything that looks like it will update the total amount.  Yet, the total amount refreshes when the 'update' button is clicked.  Can you tell me which action is causing this?  If I can see what's causing the total amount on the line to update, then I'm sure I can make another column update as well.

Thanks,

Randall

• 08-06-2014 10:51 AM In reply to

Hi Randall,

That field is calculated behind the scenes, in order to prevent conflicts with QuickBooks which has to validate the line items. Instead of modifying that field, you could have your calculations set another field in the grid such as amount (which will be used in the total amount calculation), or any custom field)

Regards,

Russell

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)