Method Community

Off to a bad start

Last post 03-19-2010 4:57 PM by Method_Valbon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2010 10:00 AM

Off to a bad start

I'm afraid I am off to a bad start with this Beta.  I decided to walk through the Tutorial in the Quick Start Guide using as a sample a project I just started working on.  I entered a new project in step 2 and input "3" as an Est Qty, $75 as a rate, and when I clicked "Update" nothing happened. The Amount does not populate in the Invoicing & Items Detail tab and the Contract Amount does not populate in the Add/Edit Project tab.

I then tried Step 4- Enter Actual Time.  Absolutely nothing happened when I entered time.  It does not appear in the Activities & Time Entries Tab or in the Time Entry Review Tab.

So obviously, since I'm sure the application must work, I must be doing something seriously wrong.

Any helpful advice?

• 03-09-2010 2:45 PM In reply to

Re: Off to a bad start

Hi,

Let’s see if I can help get things moving. When you added the new project what Contact Type did you specify?  The example I used in my Tutorial was a Fixed contract. If I were to use Hourly as an example, it would not update the Contact Amount because it’s unlikely there was actual time / Charge Qty entered at the time the project was being created which results in a default amount of zero.

What contract type were you using? Can you also send me details on your time entry process?

Val

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-10-2010 8:41 AM In reply to

Steven emailed with the following reply:

OK.  I used hourly, thinking I would get an estimated Contract Amount.  What's the definition of Charge Qty by the way?

I'm going to start over and use the exact example in the tutorial, since I am really struggling with using my own.  Is it necessary to have an Activity within a Project within a Customer in order to record time, or can it be reported directly to the Project?

Steven Gill

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor

Certified Public Bookkeeper

Great Hills Consulting Group, Inc.

(512) 340-0201

www.GreatHillsGroup.com

• 03-19-2010 4:57 PM In reply to

Steven,

I’m a little late on this post but wanted to get back to you.

Charge Qty is what will eventually be used as the Qty for the invoice line item. This field will update automatically for hourly projects after each time entry.

It sounds like there is confusion linking Activities and Time entries. Let me see if I can make this area more user friendly and less awkward. Were you able to get through the provided example? What was the example you were trying that did not work?

Thanks for the feedback!

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)