Method Community

MethodAPI SSL error message: "the underlying connection was closed: could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel"

Last post 03-17-2015 4:23 PM by Method_Jonathan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2015 1:54 PM

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

MethodAPI SSL error message: "the underlying connection was closed: could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel"

Hello,

About a week ago we started getting the following error message while using Method API:

"the underlying connection was closed: could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel".

We tried running our application on localhost and it works without any issues.

Our application is hosted through ipower.

Any suggestions as to how we can solve this issue.

Thank you,

• 03-17-2015 9:30 AM In reply to

Re: MethodAPI SSL error message: "the underlying connection was closed: could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel"

HI Issam,

We will need to do some investigation to determine whether this is an error on our end or yours.  Can you provide me with the URL that you are hitting when you recieve the error?  

Cheers

Jonathan

Jonathan Gamble
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: j.gamble@method.me
  • 03-17-2015 9:41 AM In reply to

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

Re: MethodAPI SSL error message: "the underlying connection was closed: could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel"

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for responding.

We deployed the same application on a different server and on localhost and it worked fine.

Have you made any updates to your SSL certificates lately?

Regards,

• 03-17-2015 9:50 AM In reply to

Issam,

Yes,we have recently updated the SSL certificates - you could have been using a cached version of the certificate which would explain the error.

Jonathan Gamble
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 03-17-2015 10:18 AM In reply to

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

Okay. I will clear that cache and give it another try.

• 03-17-2015 10:46 AM In reply to

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

Jonathan,

I tried your suggestion on a couple of computers but I got the same error message. 

Regards,

• 03-17-2015 11:08 AM In reply to

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

Also, I found this thread on here: https://www.method.me/cs/forums/p/330/1005.aspx

I see similarities in both our issues. Do you think it could be the same cause?

Thank you,

Regards,

• 03-17-2015 11:25 AM In reply to

Issam,

I am familiar with the previous thread you have linked  - though we would like some additional information from you to help narrow down the problem.

Are you able to provide me with the details of the SSL certification you are using with the API (e.g. a screenshot is fine)?

Also, are you able to provide me with steps to reproduce the error (e.g. which URL endpoint are you calling)?

Jonathan Gamble
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 03-17-2015 1:33 PM In reply to

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

Sure. Here is a snapshot of the cert:

SSL Cert

And you can try any example on this demo page: http://valorleadership.com/Method/Test/Default.aspx. The same error message pops up.  But if we run the same application on localhost it works fine.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Kind Regards,

• 03-17-2015 2:20 PM In reply to

Hi Issam,

This is not a certificate issued by Method Integration.  It appears that this SSL certificate belongs to ipower.  It sounds as though there is a problem access your application on your hosted server I recommend speaking with ipower in order to resolve issues pertaining to this certificate.

Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Cheers

Jonathan

Jonathan Gamble
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 03-17-2015 3:07 PM In reply to

• issam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-05-2013
    • Posts 17

Jonathan,

Can you please confirm that you get the same error message using the demo I sent? and what about the certificate you're using for it?

Thank you,

• 03-17-2015 4:23 PM In reply to

I can confirm that I receive the same error.  

I think the question we have right now is whether or not the error is being thrown by our API or your internal services.  

I am looking through our logs and cannot pinpoint any failures on our side, which leads me to believe it might be a problem with the communication between your app and your web service.  You had mentioned that you were able to hit the API when running on localhost, as well as on a different server.  Can you confirm that your app (hosted on http://valorleadership.com/Method/Test/Default.aspx) is actually making a call to our API, or is it failing prior to the API call?

Jonathan Gamble
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)