Method Community

Email Template Bug?

Last post 04-19-2010 1:19 PM by Method_Valbon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2010 6:30 PM

Email Template Bug?

Greetings - 

I am creating an Email Template yet when I enter a From Name, it does not save it to the template. If you do not fill this field out, then the email address is what shows as the From when it is sent to the recipient (we use a generic gmail account to run our Method email, so the address does not make sense to anyone outside of our sales team). All other fields in the template work fine. Is this a bug?

Cheerio - Kevin

• 04-16-2010 9:20 AM In reply to

Re: Email Template Bug?

Kevin,

We’re currently looking into this. You should be able to use From (optional) which is what will be displayed to the recipient of the email. I’ll keep you posted on any updates.

The generic gmail address you’re using for authentication is not what recipients would see. Instead it will use the email address associated with the Method user which is found in step 1 of 7 under the User properties.

Val

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 04-16-2010 10:15 AM In reply to

Howdy Val - 

thanks for the reply! I tried what you said - I sent an email to another account and the from address showed up as our Gmail authentication address, not as Kevin, my user name. am i doing something wrong here?

Gratzi - Kevin

• 04-16-2010 5:05 PM In reply to

Kevin,

Can you please verify the following:

1. Go to the Customize tab and click Users.
    2. Click edit beside your user name.
    3. What email is specified for this user?

If I understand correctly, you are using the generic gmail for authentication purposes only? The From email should be based on the user and pulled from the email for the actual Method user. This should be the actual work/personal email address.

You should also take advantage of the Link to Employee / Vendor / OtherName option found under the User settings. When you link the Method user to the appropriate Entity in QuickBooks it will display that name as the From Name.

Hope this helps,

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-19-2010 8:58 AM In reply to

Howdy Val - 

thanks for your reply - yes, use Gmail for authentication only - my email for my account is correct (kevin@larrysbeans.com), yet the emails still come over with the Gmail address as the from address.So emails are not pulling correctly for us.

any other guesses here?

Many thanks! - Kevin

• 04-19-2010 1:19 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Kevin,

We’ve looked further into this by testing it with one of our personal gmail accounts and you’re right. When using a gmail address to authenticate and send emails, the recipient will see the email coming from the gmail address. Gmail does not allow users to mask their email with the user specified email. Something we won’t be able to change.

You can try to search for ‘Paid SMTP Services’ or something similar and check any available options available...hopefully at a nominal fee. Let us know if you find any good ones!

Thanks,

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)