Method Community

Inserting/Loading Alternate Contacts

Last post 04-27-2010 12:37 PM by Method_Paul. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2010 2:52 PM

• Palmer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2010
    • Detroit, Michigan
    • Posts 4

Inserting/Loading Alternate Contacts

I am using the MethodAPIInsertV2 interface to upload/transfer several hundred QuickBooks matched contacts from an ACT database into Method.

EntityType=’Customer’, EntityRecordID=767, FirstName='Joe' AND LastName='Test' to upload into the 'Contacts' Table.

I get an error of: ‘The field EntityType or EntityRecordID do not support Add’

I queried the Customer table to get the existing Customer RecordID, already and matched them up.  That is were I got the 767 above.

How do insert alternate contacts into Method and tie them to existing QB customers?

Thanks,

Palmer Stevens

• 04-22-2010 4:26 PM In reply to

Re: Inserting/Loading Alternate Contacts

Palmer - using the API there is no need to set the EntityType.  If you are inserting into the Customer table, it knows enough to automatically set the EntityType to Customer for you.

Also, if you are importing lots of data, you might be interested in a new built-in Method Import / Export feature we put into beta yesterday.  See the post here: http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/forums/t/721.aspx.  It's pretty slick.

Paul

• 04-23-2010 12:33 PM In reply to

• Palmer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2010
    • Detroit, Michigan
    • Posts 4

The Beta looks nice.  I gave it a try and it had a file not found sort of error on the upload. 

I need know what are the key fields that I need to use with the INSERT API  to add Alternate Contacts to existing QB Customers.

Thanks, Palmer

• 04-27-2010 9:22 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2008
    • Posts 877

Palmer,

If you are trying to add info to an existing record in the Customer table, you're going to want to use the UpdateAPI call. The InsertAPI call is for adding a new record. If all you need to do is update existing records in the customer table I have an Excel spreadsheet that should do the trick for you. You can email me at matt@TechInTheField.com if you are interested.

Matt Raiser

Founder,

www.techinthefield.com

matt@techinthefield.com

219-221-9500

~ Method user / partner since 2008

~ Over 15 years field service experience

~ 2013 Method Partner of the Year

~ Degree in Computer Science

Creator of:

• 04-27-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

Palmer -  Are you still getting an error when you try the import / export beta?  If so, what's the exact message?  We can look into it for you.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)