Method Community

Method:New Mobile ... separate apps (only mobile ready)

Last post 05-12-2015 9:44 AM by Method_Audisho. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2015 2:21 PM

• steveb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2011
    • United States
    • Posts 79

Method:New Mobile ... separate apps (only mobile ready)

Hi all,

From research and prior knoledge I know that 'Classic' mobile screens had a checkbox on login.  That check box is gone with single sign in.

I saw (yes physically went and met with) a new prospect this morning that is going to want mobile apps (specifically iPad) for at least some of their custom screens.  They want to limit the screens that are available on the mobile device to those that are 'mobile ready'.  In there terms that may mean a subset of the information available on the desktop screens.

Three questions ... first does the signin now detect the device from which signin is occuring (rather than our having to tell it) and know it is a mobile device and what kind (I saw a session variable that says 'is mobile device'?  Second, is there an easy way select those applicatins (or specifically screens within applications) that are mobile ready?  Finally, I saw another session vaiable that reports the browser's version number, does it also report the browser name (Haven't found a use yet, but it is along the same line of questions)?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Blaustein, CPA.CITP
    Owner / Manager
    MNV Software, LLC.
  • 05-11-2015 3:57 PM In reply to

Re: Method:New Mobile ... separate apps (only mobile ready)

Answer

Hi Steve,

There is no need to create mobile screens in Method New (M:N), as all apps and screens will be compatible on mobile devices (Yay, finally!). With sections and grids, you can set them to be “responsive”. This means that they will collapse and be displayed in a way that makes them easier to read on a smaller screen. You can read more about this in Solution No. 502 of our M:N Help Center.

The session variable Browser Window Size is actually dynamic and changes depending on the current windows size (i.e. not determined on sign in). You can play around with this by changing your browser window size and retrieving the variable. I was able to get it to return the following values: Desktop Wide, Desktop, Tablet Landscape, Tablet Portrait, Small Tablet Portrait & Mobile Landscape. There may be more (I’m noticing an absence of Mobile Portrait), but these are simply the results from my testing.

While you won’t be able to completely restrict the use of a screen via this variable, you can use it to hide/unhide or disable/enable certain elements on the screen when it loads. This will allow you to maintain 1 screen for all devices and still restrict some information on mobile devices.

I do not see a session variable for browser version. What action were you able to locate this and what is the name of the variable?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 05-12-2015 8:28 AM In reply to

Hi Steve,

As per the screenshot that you emailed to me, this variable appears to include the browser name and version however, it is not included in M:N.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-12-2015 9:05 AM In reply to

• steveb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2011
    • United States
    • Posts 79

Hi Audisho,

It isn't in 'M:H' now or is never going to be, because it isn't needed?

Thanks,

Steve

Owner / Manager
    MNV Software, LLC.
  • 05-12-2015 9:19 AM In reply to

Hi Steve,

I don’t know why it was excluded or if there is any plan to include it in the future. Is there a reason that you would need it included in M:N?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-12-2015 9:32 AM In reply to

• steveb
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2011
    • United States
    • Posts 79

Audisho,

I 'guess' my original thinking was to be able to determine what type of device / screen  (i.e. tablet - landscape or portrait - , phone - landscape or portrait - , etc.).  Based on your prior answer that the 'mobile user' variable gives that information, I guess maybe the 'browser' variable isn't necessary.

Thanks,

Steve

Owner / Manager
    MNV Software, LLC.
  • 05-12-2015 9:44 AM In reply to

Hi Steve,

This would be the Browser Window Size session variable, but yes, I believe you should be able to use this variable in place of the Browser - Version session variable with increased control.

I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)