Method Community

Moving activities from old to new method account

Last post 05-10-2016 10:04 AM by Method_Ben. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2015 4:56 PM

Moving activities from old to new method account

I am trying to move my activities from our old account connected to QB desktp to our new account connected to QB online and keep them in series and not movin over as individual occurences.

I have created new columns in my new method account in activities called OldRecordID and OldRecurrenceRecordID and now need to import the data into a screen I hav created and loop the occurences in as a series based on their Old record IDs and Old Recurrence IDs.

First off, I shoukld make a backup of my activity table and I do not kno how to do that:( I imagine its probably pretty easy though.

I am not sure what kind of screen to create to import my data from my old site. I am assuming an activity table?

Once there, I am only vaguely familiar with looping and could use elaboration on how it is done and what it will do.

Thank you all for your help!!!

• 05-14-2015 9:53 AM In reply to

Re: Moving activities from old to new method account

Answer

Hi scottaskinosie,

First off, to backup your Activity table, simply export it using the Import / Export tool. Make sure that you open the exported file with excel and confirm that all of your records are there before continuing.

You will then use the same tool for importing the activity list that you exported from your old account. All the fields should match up already, but you will need to make 1 change. You will be importing the fields RecordID and RecurrenceRecordID from your old account into the fields OldRecordID and OldRecurrenceRecordID into your new account. The reason for this is that Method will generate a new, different RecordID for each of these activities when you import them. You need some way of preserving the old RecordIDs so that you can recreate the recurrence structure.

Once you have these activities imported, you will use a custom action set for re-linking them. You can add a button to your Activity List screen or create a new screen. It doesn’t matter, as you’re going to be looping through the Activity table, not the grid.

Your action set needs to loop through the Activity table for each record that is a Series and contains an OldRecordID. Then each iteration of the loop will insert the new RecordID into the RecurrenceRecordID field for each linked activity. I created this action set myself and have included screen shots below.

I hope that this points you in the right direction, but please don’t hesitate to post back if you have any follow up questions.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 05-17-2015 9:40 AM In reply to

Thank you Audisho!

This is very helpful and I really appreciate your screenshots. I have a quick question. Do I need to end the loop at some point? 

• 05-18-2015 8:03 AM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

Yes, you always want to make sure that your are terminating your loop correctly. In this case, the End Loop Through Table action will be inserted directly after your Update Field In Table action. I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-18-2015 11:04 AM In reply to

T

hank you again Audisho, that is what I thought but wanted to check with you to be sure.

I have another problem, I imported evrything for mytest run and my fields all matched up and I have my oldrecordID and oldrecurrencerecordID getting where they need to go in my new activity table but when I run the button I am getting an error in action sequence 1.

I set up up exactly as in your picture so I am not sure what went wrong:(

• 05-18-2015 11:48 AM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

My apologies, I don’t have the test data to actually run this on my account. I believe I may have been mistaken when including ‘’ in the Start Loop Through Table action. Try leaving this field blank instead so your “AND Where” looks like:

OldRecordID

Not equal To

Type In

Give this a shot and let me know the result.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-18-2015 12:15 PM In reply to

thank you again Audisho! 

I did as you said and when I clicked the new button it did not give me the error.

However, nothing has changed and my occurrences are still not in series:(

What should I do now? 

Maybe export them and see if the recurrenceID had changed? 

• 05-18-2015 12:36 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

Yes, exporting the table and checking the data would be my first recommendation.

Allow me to ask a few questions to see if I can determine why this does not appear to have worked.

How many activities did you migrate from your old account?

How long did the process take after you selected the button with the action set?

When you imported your activities into your new account, did you include the data in the RecurrenceType field?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-18-2015 2:10 PM In reply to

Alright, I had a look at the data and the RecurrenceRecordID field is blank after running the new button.

I only migrated one series over, it consisted of about 22 activities.

The proces only took a few seconds to run.

When I imported the activities I did include the Recurrence Type field, the Recurrence Type that exported from my old account for each activity says Occurence.

• 05-18-2015 2:44 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

Looks like you’re missing the Series record. You need to import this record, as this is the record which all the occurrences link to. For this particular series, the old RecordID of this record appears to be 72846.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-18-2015 3:17 PM In reply to

Maybe I am misunderstanding, I do not see Series record as an option of something that I can export from my old CRM. Where is Series record?

Thanks again for all of your help man, sorry if I am misunderstanding and it is something super simple.

• 05-18-2015 3:49 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

You’re looking for the value in the RecurrenceType field. This will either be OneTime, Occurrence or Series. If it’s an Occurrence the RecordID in the RecurrenceRecordID field will point back to a record that has a value of Series. You need to import this record as well, as this is the record which the occurrences link to.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-18-2015 4:11 PM In reply to

OWhat kay, I think I get it.

One problem, not all of my series have that series row. This example is a series that I just checked to make sure that it does in fact exist as a series in our CRM.

This one, which also exists as a series in our CRM does have a row that says series.

What do I do about the ones without the series row?

• 05-18-2015 4:24 PM In reply to

Hi scottaskinosie,

For the first screen shot, look for the activity with RecordID 72846. That’s your series record. If it’s missing, then it’s been deleted or was missing from the export for some other reason. You cannot make the connection without this record.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-18-2015 5:06 PM In reply to

First thing, I tested an import with a group of activities that has the series field still intact and it imported properly as a series. Thank goodness! Actually, THANK YOU AUDISHO!!!!!!

But now I need your assistance adressing the issue with my groups of activities that are missing the series field.

As you can see, Mrs. Cook's is a series in my old CRM account.

ut if you look here at the raw data I just exported from that sight, the series field is gone!!!

How is that possible? Is it a glitch with the Method site?

But more importantly, becasue this has happened to many of my activity series, what can I do to fix this?

The old site clearly recognizes them as a series so surely there must be a way to move them over as one...right?

Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 1 2 3 Next >