Method Community

Migrating to new account

Last post 05-15-2015 1:43 PM by Method_Audisho. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2015 7:57 AM

Migrating to new account

I want to make an identical copy of my current method account on a new account. Same Quickbooks database, pages, tables, everything. I see how you can easly transfer the pages and tables however the data is where I am having trouble. We have been using method since 2010 so we have a lot of data I see under "Integration Tools" where you can export, however muost of my tables have to many records for a complete export. For instance when I try to export the "Customer" table it says "With the columns selected, the maximum number of records that will be returned is: 4,673". I have over 60,000 records that I need to export. How do I go about transfering all of my tables data to the new account?

• 05-15-2015 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: Migrating to new account

Hi thesolarguys,

Unfortunately, this would be a lot more complicated than is seems. While you can export your data from your old account and import it into a new one, the RecordIDs of your records will not remain consistent across accounts. Method uses RecordIDs to make connections between records. Moving these records to a new account will break all of these connections.

Can you explain to me why you are trying to move your data to a new Method account? Maybe I can recommend a different solution.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 05-15-2015 8:34 AM In reply to

When we orginaly signed up in 2010 it was through Qxpress online. So we currently have a Qxpress account with Method. I don't understand or really care what happened between Qxpress/Method I just want to make sure I get the latest Method updates and BETA when it is released.

• 05-15-2015 9:36 AM In reply to

Hi thesolarguys,

This can be done, but it is quite a large project. Your first step would be to sync your QuickBooks (QB) file to your new Method account. You want all of your syncing QB data to come over via QB to prevent any possible sync conflicts. If you have custom non-posing field data for these records, you can import it afterwards with the Import / Export tool by performing an update. Just pick a different key field other than RecordID because, as I mentioned, your RecordIDs will not be consistent between accounts.

Next, you will want to import your screens. If you already have a Method account, you can copy screens from another account by navigating to Customize > Screens and selecting the Copy / Import Screen… button in the lower right hand side. I cannot guarantee that these screens will be functional, as you are copying them from another system and they may require modifications to work correctly.

Finally, you will need to import your non-posting data such as your leads and activities after exporting them from your old account. We cannot assist you with the exporting your data from QXpress, but in Method, if you need to export more records than the limit allows, you would use the filter with script option.

As I mentioned previously, importing these to a new account will break many of the connections that exist via the RecordID field. I wrote a forum post yesterday explaining how to re-create these connections for activity series and occurrences here. You will need to do something similar, but on a much larger basis, as you are not just importing activities.

Again, this is a very large project. I strongly recommend that you reach out to one of our partners for help with this. If you would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your Method account manager. Finally, if you have any follow up questions, please don’t hesitate to post back.

I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-15-2015 1:12 PM In reply to

Since I am not really changing anything same QB database and same Method Tables/Data. I could not export all of the Method data into a new account and start the QB sync on the new account? Would the sync engine know a difference?

• 05-15-2015 1:13 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2008
    • Posts 877

Hi thesolarguys,

I wrote a program to automate the process of moving data from one Method account to another. It maintains the links betwween customers, activities, activity job items etc. Fell free to give me a call or send me an email if you are interested.

Matt Raiser

Founder,

www.techinthefield.com

matt@techinthefield.com

219-221-9500

~ Method user / partner since 2008

~ Over 15 years field service experience

~ 2013 Method Partner of the Year

~ Degree in Computer Science

Creator of:

• 05-15-2015 1:43 PM In reply to

thesolarguys:

Since I am not really changing anything same QB database and same Method Tables/Data. I could not export all of the Method data into a new account and start the QB sync on the new account? Would the sync engine know a difference?

Hi thesolarguys,

Method uses the ListID / TxnID / TxnLineID fields to match records in Method to the corresponding ones in QuickBooks. Since this is a value that is generated by QB, you cannot import data into this field via the Import / Export Tool. If you were to import records that sync with QB into your new Method account, the sync engine would not be able to match these up with the corresponding records in your QB file and you would receive a large number of DeleteFromDesktop conflicts. This is why you need to sync with the file first.

It sounds like Matt has a solution that can simplify this process for you. He is one of our partners, so feel free to take him up on his offer and reach out to him.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)