Method Community

Using with Thin Clients

Last post 06-24-2015 4:15 PM by Method_Audisho. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2015 12:41 PM

Using with Thin Clients

Our company runs everything on thin clients connected to our main server. When it comes to using the Outlook Plugin as well as the Method Integration Engine, will these work installed on our main server? Is there a process/protocol to follow when setting this all up with thin clients as opposed to stand alone desktops?

Thank you,

Conner

• 06-05-2015 2:55 PM In reply to

Re: Using with Thin Clients

Hi Conner,

I can confirm that we do have users who run the Method Integration Engine and the Outlook plugin on a similar setup, but we do not officially support it. As such, your mileage will vary depending on your environment.

The installation procedure will likely be determined by your IT department based on our standard setup procedure. If you run into trouble, we have some tips on server installation in solution No. 251 of our Help Center. If you really get stuck, you can give us a call at 1-888-925-6238 x2 and we can provide you with limited support.

I hope this helps.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 06-24-2015 9:59 AM In reply to

Hello,

I have been working with my outside IT department getting these two pieces of software installed. They have asked me, "when installing the sync engine and the outlook plugin onto a terminal server, do they need to be installed per user?"

• 06-24-2015 10:59 AM In reply to

Hi Conner,

Unfortunately, I can’t give you a definitive answer, as Method was not built to run on a terminal server and as such, we are not experienced in setting up Method on this type of environment. All I can do is explain how to setup these applications on a standard environment and direct you to Solution No. 251 for additional tips on server installation.

On a standard environment, the Method Integration Engine (MIE) must be installed on 1 computer with QuickBooks (QB). This is your main syncing computer and it is recommended that you sign into QB as the admin user on this computer. It’s also good practice to install the MIE on any additional computers that use QB. This will ensure that any changes made in QB from these computers will post to Method immediately.

On a standard environment, the Outlook plugin must be installed for each user. It is best to install it first on a user that has administrator access on the computer.

If your IT department is running into errors, feel free to post back here with the details and I’ll do my best to recommend a solution. Alternatively, they can give our support team a call at 1-888-925-6238 x2 and we can provide limited support.

I hope this helps.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 06-24-2015 11:21 AM In reply to

So if a user is only using Method and not quickbooks, they technically don't need the MIE? Say for instance my computer is the one with admin priveleges and MIE installed, does QB and or MIE have to be open at all times for it to sync in real time?

Conner

• 06-24-2015 11:34 AM In reply to

Hi Conner,

Correct, if a user does not use QB, then they should not install the MIE. The MIE and QB must be running for the sync to occur.

I hope this helps.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 06-24-2015 12:14 PM In reply to

So I would imagine the best practice would be to have MIE running on the machine of someone who has quickbooks open all day? This way any changes that are done in Method by my sales people will immediately go into quickbooks?

I have 2 seperate method databases (1 for US and 1 for EU). Some people will need access to both - does this mean I need 2 different MIEs running at the same time as well as both quickbooks open?

• 06-24-2015 4:15 PM In reply to

Hi Conner,

Yes, that’s correct that you want to have it installed on a computer where you can leave QB running. It’s just as important that the QB user has the correct access to the company file however, or sync conflicts will be created. This is why we recommend syncing with the QB admin user.

The MIE will not function if you have 2 instances of QB open at the same time. It has no way of knowing which instance to connect to. You can setup the MIE to sync with each company file individually and it will automatically connect to the correct Method account when you load the company file. When you switch from one file to another, the MIE will recognize this and switch to the corresponding Method account.

I hope this helps.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)