Method Community

Linking a Field to two Different Tables

Last post 06-17-2015 1:11 PM by Method_Audisho. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2015 11:36 AM

Linking a Field to two Different Tables

Hi Method,

I am trying how to figure out how to link a field between two different tables. I want to be able to update the field on one screen and have it automatically update on another screen.

I am trying to be able to update a field called "Warehouse Slot" on our Add\Edit Work Order Screen. I then want this field to populate on our New\Edit purchase order screen, and vice versa. Currently our Work Orders are based out of the Activity Table, and the other screen is based out of the PurchaseOrder Table. Do I need to build a reference table linking the two tables together?

If I could get some advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 06-17-2015 1:11 PM In reply to

Re: Linking a Field to two Different Tables

Hi jsautel,

Linking field data from one table to another is done using linked fields. You have the option of adding these to your tables located under Customize > Tables / Fields by selecting the Edit Fields… button next to the desired table. A linked field can be added to retrieve the data from any field on a related table (relationships are created via a dropdown field).

The problem you’re going to encounter is that work orders (activities) and purchase orders do not have a relationship. In order to add a linked field linking data from the Activity table to the SalesOrder table or vice versa, you will need to create this relationship. This is done by adding a dropdown field to the SalesOrder table that links it to an activity or adding a dropdown field to the Activity table that links it to a sales order. Once added to the table, you’ll need to add this dropdown field to your screen so that you can select which sales order or activity you want to relate the activity or sales order to.

If you haven’t done so, I recommend going through our customization webinars. They give an overview of how customization in Method is done. You also have the option of reaching out to your account manager to book a session with a member of our professional services team so that they can implement this for you or you can reach out to one of our partners.

I hope this helps.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)