Method Community

Dropdown issue

Last post 06-30-2015 8:20 AM by Method_Audisho. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2015 12:20 AM

Dropdown issue

I am a brand new Method user and am having problems getting my first dropdown field set up properly.

Here's the main issue:  When I access the field and prepare to select one of the dropdown choices, the choice I click on does not appear in the field. I can see the list of choices and it pulls down like I'd expect. But when I click on one of them, the field goes blank. 

I noticed I can type in the word I want. But I don't want users to have to do that. They should be able to pull down the list, select one of the choices and then that choice populates that field.

Any help appreciated!

• 06-29-2015 8:38 AM In reply to

Re: Dropdown issue

Hi bcstlmo,

Selecting the value is definitely the method that you should be using for a dropdown field. I’m not sure why this isn’t working for you, but here are a few steps that you can take to try and resolve the issue.

- Clear your browser’s cookies and cached files (http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache)

- Use an incognito or private browsing window

- Use a different browser

If this doesn’t help, post back with further details regarding the field and screen. Screenshots may help. Just make sure you upload them to an image hosting service such as imgur first, as our direct image attachments don’t work.

I hope this helps.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 06-29-2015 10:53 AM In reply to

Audisho - Thanks for the quick response. I was using Chrome and have followed your suggestions. I cleared Chrome's browsing history and cookies. No help. Then I went Incognito. Same result. 

I then tried IE with same results. 

See my screen shot.  https://goo.gl/photos/UWaorvzWTYDyVQTp8

Here's a more detailed explanation of what's happening:

1. I pull down the menu choices. All fine so far.
    2. I click on one to select, but it makes the field go blank.
    3. If I try to type the selection into the field as opposed to selecting from the dropdown, it takes the info.

I'm a novice at Method but it seems like it could be a setting thing - one of the steps for the dropdown wizard includes a setting for "Type in." I've turned that on and off with no success.

If you can't see my image or need more info just let me know. THANKS!

• 06-29-2015 1:28 PM In reply to

Hi bcstlmo,

Is this a dropdown field that you added to your Activity table or just a dropdown object? Are there any actions on the dropdown that could be clearing the value?

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 06-29-2015 2:36 PM In reply to

It's a dropdown object I added.

The may be actions on the DD clearing the value but I've tried a lot of different settings and combinations and am stuck. I'd love some advice.

• 06-29-2015 2:51 PM In reply to

Hi bcstlmo,

I believe you’re going to want to use a field for this instead. If you just add a dropdown object to the screen, the data entered into the dropdown is not saved with the record.

You can add a dropdown field to a work order by adding the field to your Activity table under Customize > Tables / Fields. Once you’ve added the field, you’ll be able to drag it onto your screen.

Give this a shot and let me know if the result is any different.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 06-29-2015 5:48 PM In reply to

Audisho -

That fixed my problem. THANKS!

At risk of sounding like a whiner or a technophobe - this is not particularly intuitive. Once you create a dropdown field, it appears in multiple editable locations: the field, the table, in whatever screen you've installed it, its own screen, etc. And then you have to know whether to "Edit" or just "View" (I discovered that 'View" is how to change the contents of the dropdown selections.)

Again, not trying to complain but for a newbie this is more daunting than I anticipated. We're committed to using Method and to getting good at it. Can you recommend any additional simple tips or resources for a "Getting Started" level user? 

Thanks again - very much appreciated!

• 06-30-2015 8:20 AM In reply to

Hi bcstlmo,

We have some customization webinars that you can take the time to go through. While our documentation regarding customization in Method Classic isn’t all that thorough, we are making an enormous effort to have much better documentation for customization in Method New. There’s no Field Services app yet for Method New, but it is in our roadmap. If you want to get a head-start for when it is available, you can start reading through our customization guide.

I hope this helps.

Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)