Method Community

Sort order for customer list?

Last post 07-17-2015 2:23 PM by Method_Morty. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2015 4:25 PM

Sort order for customer list?

Brand new user here trying to get up to speed. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that there is only one post (from over a month ago) in this forum. Apparently the "New" version really is new!

Is it possible to have LastName be the sort field rather than Name? I'd like to view customers in alphabetical order of last name.

Also, I agree with the poster in the previous thread about the use of the term "customer" rather than "donor," (see the name of your product for reference).

• 07-15-2015 9:45 AM In reply to

Re: Sort order for customer list?

<quote>Hello,

You can change the default Filter/View for any Grid object on screen.

> Customize the List screen and click on the Grid object.

> To the right click on Filters & Views

> Click on Grid Views

> + Add another view

Set it as default and you can set the Sorting there Asc/Desc to any FieldName.

- Mortaza</quote>

Thanks for your response. For some reason your response above arrived via email, but doesn't appear in the thread. I tried replying to that email msg, but got an rejection saying that the mailbox was unattended. Anyway...

I've now tried this six or seven times. First two times I missed the final Save button at the top of the Screen Designer (seems redundant). Now I get this message…

Cannot save Contact List as it has already been published.
    Please make a copy of this screen instead.
    I don't really know what this means, but I tried closing all open screens, then reopening Manage Apps and starting again. No effect. Does "published" mean published to me in my session or published to QBO? Wondering if I need to disconnect from QB first?

• 07-15-2015 9:54 AM In reply to

Hey,

I retracted my original reply there, I wanted to get into more detail on the complete process. Follow these steps here and tell me if you are still having the same issues:

1) Method:Donor is based off the SalesReceipt table we would need to add LastName as a linked field from the Customer table. 

Click on the little gear icon top right corner and head over to Preferences > Tables / Fields > Search for the SalesReceipt table and open it > Click on Add Field > 

Field Name: LastName

Field Type: Linked

Link Using: Customer

Linked Field: LastName

2)  Open up the left sidebar and head over to Manage Apps > Click on Edit Apps for Donations > Click on Copy under Donations List choose a name, click OK > Click on Customize under the Copied screen you created 

3) Click on the DonationsGrid object > to the right expand Filters & Views > Grid Views > Add another view > Choose a Filter name, Set as default > Add Sorting > Sort by LastName in Asc/Desc(your choice) > Save & Close > Save & Close

If you do get need me to elaborate on any of the steps please let me know.

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 07-15-2015 11:52 PM In reply to

OK, I  went through all of the steps you described. Thanks.

However, I'm not sure why we never got back to a LastName Customer sort. Should I be going through the previous process you outlined for the customer list again now that I've completed these adaptation to the Donations list?
  • 07-16-2015 8:57 AM In reply to

Hey,

To confirm which screen are you referring to? Is it within the Donations App?

If you are referring to the Contact List screen you can skip Step 1 and continue making a copy of the Contact List screen and add the LastName sort to the Grid.

- Mortaza 

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 07-16-2015 1:59 PM In reply to

Have new LastName-sorted screen created. However, when I go to manage apps>contacts>configure and attempt to change the "starting screen" to my newly-created screen I get this error:

You are not the Author of this App!

This Shared Application: Contacts cannot be modified by Users that have not published it.

Contact the owner of the application for any possible changes to be made

• 07-17-2015 2:23 PM In reply to

Hey,

If you do have full permissions you should be able to change the Starting Screen to point to the Copied (LastName-sorted) you created.

If you turn on the MethodSupport User I will be able to login to your Account from my end. Head over to Preferences > Users > Show Inactive Users > MethodSupport > Active after that just PM me your Company Account name. 

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)