Method Community

Starting to use email within Method...can we email invoices/Estimates from Method?

Last post 07-09-2010 7:06 AM by JVSyms. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2010 3:17 PM

Starting to use email within Method...can we email invoices/Estimates from Method?

Hello everyone,

We have looked at the webinars but haven't seen anything about emailing invoices.  I have just seen the email templates and integration with Outlook.

Thanks,

Kelly 

• 07-08-2010 4:52 PM In reply to

Re: Starting to use email within Method...can we email invoices/Estimates from Method?

Hey Kelly,

This is something that currently cannot be done in Method. We do have the checkbox "To be emailed" because this is the same field you would see in QuickBooks. If you use this field, then you can go into QuickBooks and send all your invoices/estimates as a batch.

• 07-08-2010 5:05 PM In reply to

Re: Starting to use email within Method...can we email invoices/Estimates from Method?

Kelly -

Just to add to Ryan's post.  This is not a *Standard* feature in Method's invoice screen.  It is something you can pretty easily add yourself, though, via customization.  Method does support creating and emailing PDFs - we just haven't made it standard on the invoice screen yet.

Paul 

• 07-08-2010 7:04 PM In reply to

• JVSyms
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-29-2009
    • Long Branch, NJ
    • Posts 22

Thank you, Paul, for the useful information and pointing us in the right direction.  We have a client- brand new user and our first Method client-  that has to e-mail Estimates immediately after receiving the phone order and wants to e-mail the Estimate or Invoice, and attach a PDF of the details of what the customer is ordering. I just want to confirm that, with customization, that this can be done from Method directly.  The plan is to use Method for this function, not QuickBooks.

We do appreciate any guidance you can give us, as we learn Method along with our client.

Judy Syms and Kelly Borg

Judith Valese Syms
    Method Certified Account Manager
    Advanced Certified Pro Advisor
  • 07-08-2010 9:29 PM In reply to

Hey Judy - good to hear from you again. 

Hmm......so there's two things you'd want to send in this case (1) a report turned into a PDF as an attachment; (2) and an Estimate or Invoice as the email body (in HTML).

So, yes, this is *absolutely possible* with customization. 

Attaching an PDF to an email is easy.  You would just use a Generate Report action, immediately followed by a Send Email action to send the PDF.  You can reverse engineer how Work Orders are emailed in Method Field Services to see how that happens.

But creating an invoice via HTML is probably a little more involved - and probably a significant challenge to do on your own for your first client, unless you know some HTML and have a good understanding of Method actions and advanced design concepts.  You know the Method invoices you get when you sign up for a Method account, or the invoices you get as a consultant for your user's licenses?  Those are just HTML invoices we designed using the EmailTemplates in Method.  You'd want to do a similar thing.  I don't see a problem with giving you the HTML example of that if you talk to Danny about that. 

Paul

• 07-09-2010 7:06 AM In reply to

• JVSyms
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-29-2009
    • Long Branch, NJ
    • Posts 22

Paul, thank you!  Yes, you are on the right track.  I do not have HTML experience, nor much Method customization experience YET. I do believe your suggestion will resolve the issues and I will speak to Danny about the solution.  Thanks again!

Judy

Judith Valese Syms
    Method Certified Account Manager
    Advanced Certified Pro Advisor
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)