Method Community

Web to Lead with existing customer

Last post 01-28-2016 2:07 PM by Method_Audisho. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-06-2016 2:20 PM

• Gpeak
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2015
    • Posts 13

Web to Lead with existing customer

We are testing our Web to Lead form, and our web development company is also a customer so they currently appear in Quickbooks.  When they test the web to lead form with their information, they get the following error:

The Click event for Submit failed to complete.

Message: *Save Warning: The Customer/Employee/Vendor/OtherName could not be sent to QuickBooks. This Name is already in use. Please edit the Name so that it is unique and save again.

Stack Trace:#3 - Action Set (CreateCustomer_onClick), #4 - Condition, #1 - InsertRecordIntoTable (Else)

Please verify and try again. If the problem persists please contact Method Technical Support.

• 01-06-2016 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: Web to Lead with existing customer

Hi Gpeak,

Have you done any screen level customization to your web form? The stock web form screen has validation for handling when a customer name is already in the database since the Name field is unique. This validation can be found on the hidden CreateCustomer button's click event.

webform name validation

--Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 01-06-2016 3:34 PM In reply to

• Gpeak
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2015
    • Posts 13

We did customize by hiding some of the fields, but I don't believe we changed the Name field.  I have forwarded this along to my developer to see if she can figure it out.  Thanks for the tips!

• 01-27-2016 5:03 PM In reply to

Hi there, We're working with Ginger on incorporating this form on their website. I found the Conditional Statement you mentioned, but I have no idea what to do from there. I see where it creates a new record of the name doesn't exist, but how do I get it to just update the record if it DOES exist?

Thanks for your help!

• 01-28-2016 11:46 AM In reply to

Hi simplemachines,

Welcome to the Method forum!

The stock web form validates whether a customer already exists via the Name and Email fields. If it finds a match for both the name and the email, it will create the activities and the opportunity for the existing contact. If however, the name matches, but the email does not, it will create a new lead record with (#) appended to the name since it cannot be guaranteed that this is the same customer.

The conditional statement that I included in the screenshot above is where this validation takes place. If you'd like to add your own validation for checking if the customer exists, you can add some additional conditions to the statement via an AND or an OR.

The stock web form also does not update the customer information if it finds the customer already exists. If you'd like to add this, it can be done with an Update Fields In Table action. I hope this helps.

--Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 01-28-2016 12:23 PM In reply to

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. If it finds the name and email, then why are we getting an error? How do we get it to just go through the rest of the form actions if the customer already exists?

We didn't create this form so I'm not sure what modifications would have been made.

• 01-28-2016 1:34 PM In reply to

• Gpeak
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2015
    • Posts 13

Simplemachines is helping us with this form, and we only hid fields on the form - no other programming changes have been made.  

• 01-28-2016 2:07 PM In reply to

Hi Gpeak,

I don't believe hiding fields on the form should be causing errors. Are you able to reproduce this error using the stock version of the form? If so, it might be easier to troubleshoot this over a screen share with a member of our support team. You can reach them by calling 1-888-925-6238 ext 2.

--Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)