Method Community

No Child Rows in Report Designer

Last post 03-17-2016 9:45 AM by fran. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2016 11:08 AM

• Rick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2015
    • Posts 37

No Child Rows in Report Designer

Hi

I have created a new object called SalesOrderPackage to store details of the shipping packages sent to customers to fulfill orders.

I now want a report which shows all sales orders where a SalesOrderPackage exists.  I have created a report on the SalesOrder table with the SalesOrderPackage linked as a child to it, however my report is listing all orders with or without any packages associated.  How do I change the report so it only returns rows where there is a SalesOrderPackage

Thanks!

Rick

• 03-10-2016 5:01 AM In reply to

• Rick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2015
    • Posts 37

Re: No Child Rows in Report Designer

Hi

Please can anyone shed any light on this.  I have a hack which is to add my required fields from the SalesOrder as linked fields on my child table, but it doesn't seem a very elegant solution!

Any guidance/pointers appreciated.

Rick

• 03-10-2016 12:49 PM In reply to

I'm not sure I fully understand your issue, but perhaps this will help...?

Filter for your SalesOrderPackage (yes only) at the Method Screen level. You can do it in the report properties.

• 03-16-2016 5:30 PM In reply to

• Rick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2015
    • Posts 37

Hi Mike

Imagine I was looking at customers and their sales orders. I have 3 customers, 2 of which have ordered off me.  My data would look like:

Customer            SalesOrderNo         Amount

Customer 1

Customer 2         1                          $50

Customer 3         2                          $100

My master table in the report is the customer with the detail table of the Sales Order. 

I only want a row to be returned where a sales order exists.

I have looked at setting the filter in the generate report action on my button, to filter where the SalesOrderNo is blank, but I am getting the following error:

Error^Action Sequence Order:1^ERROR:You have specified that a filter should be applied to your report, however no filter criteria was sent. For security purposes, this report cannot be shown.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

• 03-17-2016 9:45 AM In reply to

• fran
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-07-2009
    • Mountain View
    • Posts 453

HI Rick,

Not quite sure what you are doing..but...

If you just want to find records where SO exists, why is your report not using the SO table as master and SOLine (if need) as detail or your SO Pkg detail.  Only SO will be in the SO table.  

I have found that the report generator action can be kinda fussy as to what record id's are chosen for a report and can be based on screen you are on. Its frsutrating, cause you expect the report to follow the rules of the Report you set up and not be governed by the scren you are on. 

hope that helps...

Fran Reed
    FreedUp Solutions
    Intuit Solution Provider
    Advanced Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor
    Advanced Method Solution Provider
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)