Method Community

Character Function Issue

Last post 01-16-2009 5:00 PM by Anonymous. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2009 3:25 PM

• RodM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2009
    • Posts 6

Character Function Issue

I have created a Character Function with the following information:

Select Value:  Action Result  ArmAcct

action:  Yes/No: starts with ? 

Yes/No: starts with ?  Type In Armenian

Action Result name: ArmError

After saving it and opening it back up the information has changed to:

Yes/No: starts with ?  Action Result ArmAcct

Erasing and resaving does not solve the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Rod

• 01-09-2009 3:56 PM In reply to

Re: Character Function Issue

Hi Rod,

We probably won't be able to reply to this until early next week, but we will put this in priority sequence for response and in the meantime maybe you can provide us with a bit more info.  We appreciate you listing the info you entered into the wizard, trust me that helps us immensely! 

What is the ultimate goal you're trying to acheive via the character function action?  Explain what you're trying to do and maybe we can help out.

On a quick glance, it seems like it's functioning properly to me, the line that you refer to as erasing and resaving as: Yes/No: starts with ? Action Result ArmAcct should be what appears in that line, then you assign the new name ArmAcct to the last field - Action Result Name.  I think there's just a redundant line in there because there's several actions you can select via the Character Function action and it might be misleading you to think that you need to select a different action result to apply the condition to.  Again, please explain what you're trying to do, and we'll have a more in-depth response for you ASAP.  I'll also look into seeing if we can make the wizard a little clearer.  Huh?

Cheers!

• 01-09-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• RodM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2009
    • Posts 6

Kristopher,

I actually got the Character function idea from you as an answer to "Creating a Subset."  Maybe the best way to handle this would be to test my logic of what this function does.

Select value: Action Result ArmAcct  (The data to start the process)

action: Yes?No: starts with ? 

Yes/No: starts with ?  Type In  Armenian (If ArmAcct starts with Armenian return True else False)

Action Result name: ArmError (Store either True or False to ArmError)

If the above logic is correct then

Yes/No starts with ? Action Result  ArmAcct (will always result in True because it is comparing itself against itself).

Please correct my logic if this is incorrect.  

Thank you,

Rod

• 01-12-2009 11:43 AM In reply to

Your logic sounds correct to me, Rod.  Are you able to get the Character Function action to work using this logic?

Regards,

• 01-13-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

• RodM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2009
    • Posts 6

Kristopher,

If my logic is correct then would it not seem like a problem if my statememt

Yes/No: starts with ?  Type In  Armenian

was changed by the Method program to

Yes/No starts with ? Action Result  ArmAcct 

Rod

• 01-13-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

Oh I see...  Sorry, my error in my reading your response.  Yes, you are right... the logic you state is correct.  The Yes/No: starts with ? line being resaved to the Action Result ArmAcct WILL INDEED always result as True; thus comparing itself against itself.  This seems to be an issue on the site that we will adjust with the next publish.  This will allow for your line where you enter the value as Type In to remain after saving and closing the action's wizard.  Will keep you posted as to when this is corrected/published.

Sorry for the confusion previously.  Embarrassed

Regards,

• 01-13-2009 5:31 PM In reply to

• RodM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-02-2009
    • Posts 6

Thank you!

Rod

• 01-16-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Hi Rod,

My testing shows that the Character Function issue of data being resaved as an action result that calls upon itself is now resolved.  I can now select Type In and assign a value that doesn't get wiped after saving.

Please let me know if this doesn't function properly for you now!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)