Method Community

Web form error with IE only

Last post 05-31-2011 11:29 PM by larryr. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2011 3:18 PM

• larryr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-30-2011
    • Posts 3

Web form error with IE only

I have a web form which works in Firefox, but the same form (same site) generates an error when I submit it from IE8.

This form can be found at www.freedupsolutions.com if you click on either the Find Out More button or the Contact Us button.

In Firefox, the form is submitted, I get the contact info in my Opportunities, and I receive a notification by email as expected. But in IE8, no data is submitted, no notification is generated, and I receive the 'We couldn't authenticate web form provider' error message.

www.freeupsolutions.com is included as an authorized web form provider (otherwise, the form would not work from Firefox).

Larry

Larry Reed
    CTO, FreedUp dataOptics
  • 05-30-2011 4:57 PM In reply to

Re: Web form error with IE only

Hi Larry,

I had debugged your web form and came to conclusion that the problem is on your side. The reason for your error, is the way your html page is built. For example, if you look at your page with IE8 Developer Tools, you will notice that within an html tag <form id="form_contact"> you have another html tag <form id="form_contact"> which is not allowed by the HTML rules (thats just one of the obvious problems I've noticed). 

I have also generated your "Std Web-To-Lead" form and ran it in a separate HTML page in Firfox, Chrome and IE, and it worked perfectly fine.

What I can suggest is cleaning up your HTML page, following W3C standarts, and once your page is in good condition, Method web forms will work without any problems.

Thank you

Victor

• 05-30-2011 7:28 PM In reply to

• larryr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-30-2011
    • Posts 3

Thank you for the quick response. I was aware of the html issue, but I didn't think it was related to the IE error. I very much appreciate your help!

-- Larry

Larry Reed
    CTO, FreedUp dataOptics
  • 05-31-2011 11:29 PM In reply to

• larryr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-30-2011
    • Posts 3

On further analysis, I have found a bug in IE8. The problem, as you correctly discovered, was that my html had a form within a form. However, this state of affairs was not how I had constructed the page.

My page was loaded into memory correctly, as a single xhtml form. However, when I assigned that text to the innerHTML of my page container div, IE changed the structure, and moved the endform element to make the resulting html incorrect. Further processing compounded this error to insert the nested form element.

It turns out the problem was that I had a button element as the last element in the form, but specified as follows:

<form><div>...<button ... /></div></form>

IE turned this into

<form><div>...<button><div></div></form><div></div></button></div>

This put the closing form tag in the wrong place.

I corrected the problem by specifying the button with an explicit closing tag:

<form><div>...<button ...></button></div></form>

-- Larry

Larry Reed
    CTO, FreedUp dataOptics
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)