Method Community

Setting up a method account sign up page

Last post 02-01-2012 10:29 AM by Method_David. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2012 11:49 AM

Setting up a method account sign up page

We are in the process of adding a page to our website that allows someone to signup for a method account using the API call "MethodAPICreateMethodAccountV3".   We need the list of possible responses from this call so we can deal with the error response.  I guess the big one is duplicate company name or is there another way to validate this before making the call? 

This is also posted in the consultants forum.  I'm posting here per Danny's recommendation.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 01-31-2012 9:42 AM In reply to

Re: Setting up a method account sign up page

Hi LaCrews,

There are many possible return messages, Most revolve around bad data being entered. For example, a required field is not entered, an invalid email address is entered, etc.  At this time I do not have a full listing of all possibilities since we try to be as specific as possible.

However I can tell you the big 3 messages to watch for

1. Success

-everything worked fine

2. SuccessSendToDesktop

-everything worked fine and a call to the sync engine was made

3. Failure. The API could not validate your log in.  Please make sure you have entered the correct Company Account, User and Password, and that each are spelt correctly.  Also, ensure that this User has been configured for Method API access by going to Customize > Users, editing the User, and ensuring that there is a check in the 'Is Allowed to Connect via MethodAPI' checkbox.

-This should be relatively rare, it is our generic catch all. This is usually returned when we have an internal error, e.g. (trying to create an account when we are doing some kind of backend server maintenance)

Anything outside those 3 should provide you with enough information to resolve the data issue.

Dave

• 02-01-2012 7:35 AM In reply to

Hi Dave

Just to be clear.  You saying that there's single list of error messages for all of the web service methods rather than a short list for each specific method.  

In this case we are only interested in the error messages for the create account method.  I guess we can run a series of tests that cause the errors then log the messages.  We are hoping to create an experience similar to what happens when signing up on methodintegration.com and for that we'll need to identify each error that we intend to handle. 

Do you know of a developer who is using this call to create method accounts?  Maybe they've already dealt with this issue.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 02-01-2012 10:29 AM In reply to

Answer

Hi LaCrews,

Every web method has it's own error messages, although some will be universal. A short list of messages for MethodAPICreateMethodAccountV3 does not exist however, since there are many and they are dynamic.

For privacy reasons I cannot tell you a developer using the method. However they are welcome to chime in.

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)