Method Community

Customer Portal-UserName and Password Fields are Empty

Last post 03-12-2012 3:41 PM by Method_Valbon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2012 12:55 PM

Customer Portal-UserName and Password Fields are Empty

I have added the Portal Password and Portal User Name to a screen.  I published the screen and those fields appeared as I expected they would.  However, when I select customers who I know have registered and have successfully logged in with a user name and password, those fields are empty.

We would like to see this information to assist clients if they are having trouble.  A few other questions have come up while we are testing the portal:

1)-are there any issues if a client changes their email address after the have created a user name and password?

2) what are the options for a client who may have multiple accounts with the same email address for all accounts?

• 03-12-2012 1:43 PM In reply to

Re: Customer Portal-UserName and Password Fields are Empty

Answer

Hi Andrea,

Just curious when you added the fields for Portal User Name and Pass which screen and table was this related to?

Our default contacts portal is based off the contacts table in Method and uses the fields we have in that table. If your customization involves another table or a custom portal built off another table you will need to take this into consideration.

andrea:
    are there any issues if a client changes their email address after the have created a user name and password?

I do not see any issues if a portal user were to change their email address after they have already registered for the portal.

andrea:
    what are the options for a client who may have multiple accounts with the same email address for all accounts?

When you say 'multiple accounts' I just want to make sure we are still talking about portals right? They will need to log into each portal separately.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-12-2012 3:01 PM In reply to

Which screen and table- I used the customer table- Those fields were listed. So I naturally thought something might appear. I switched to contacts table and now see the information. Thanks.

When I say multiple accounts:

Let's say our client is Joe's World Wide Widget Company

They have 10 properties, 5 of which where Joe is the billing contact. He wants to access all five accounts, to review invoices and pay online. His email address/billing address is the same for these five properties. joe@widgetworld.com

When Joe goes to register for the portal, isn't he going to receive the message that his email address appears in multiple locations and he should "contact us"?  How does Joe successfully utilize the portal for all of his accounts?

• 03-12-2012 3:41 PM In reply to

Answer

Andrea,

Yes, if Joe tries to register and his email is listed multiple times that would cause an issue. The registration tries to find a match by email so it can update the fields for user name / pass to the appropriate person (record in table).

The easiest solution is to have them contact your company so the user name / pass can be updated manually. Of course they may still have some problems if they ever do a 'forgot your password'.

The other option(s) which require customization is to add logic so that the one 'Joe' will have access to all his properties. This means breaking our default portal filters and applying your own to the screens and grids. Note - if you decide to tackle this option please do so with caution. Perhaps even get some consulting by us or our Solution Provider team.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)