Method Community

Will emails sent from within Method be sent through/synched with Outlook?

Last post 03-23-2016 1:53 PM by jsenick. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2012 2:41 PM

Will emails sent from within Method be sent through/synched with Outlook?

I haven't actually started using Method's internal email capabilities, so maybe you can clue me in on the basics.

We do have the Outlook plugin, but from what I've seen its all about uploading information from Outlook to Method. Does the plugin handle the reverse, and download every email I send within Method back to my computer's Outlook software? 

Bottom line is that we want every email sent out (whether from within QB, Method, or Outlook itself) to be saved in Outlook. Quickbooks can be set up so that when you send an email within QB, it actually opens up an Outlook email window and loads the info and attaches the files to that window, which is essentially identical to emailing from Outlook itself. How does Method handle outgoing emails, and what are the options for getting those emails saved our local Outlook software?

-Sam

• 03-15-2012 3:08 PM In reply to

Re: Will emails sent from within Method be sent through/synched with Outlook?

Sam

For all email that gets sent from Method we just blind cc an email address that we later pull into outlook or gmail.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 03-15-2012 7:14 PM In reply to

Good idea, LaCrews, I'll definitely keep that in mind as an option.

The downside I see there is that your sent emails end up in your inbox (as opposed to the "sent" folder Outlook has), making it difficult to sort through past correspondence.

Any other options out there?

• 03-16-2012 8:30 AM In reply to

Answer

Hi Guys,

I wanted to chime in here since this already works on my end even with the Outlook plugin. I went into Method to send an email using one of our email templates, once the email was sent to the customer (my sample "Amy Smith" must hate me) I went back to Outlook and the email does appear in the sent items folder.

Here's the trick, it's for the email address that is being used to authenticate the account (Customize >>> My Account) … unless you over-ride this for the individual Method user that is logged in (Customize >>> Users >>> Step 2 of 10) then it will use that email address.

I'd love a response back today saying I'm right! Big Smile But if I'm wrong, hold off till Monday b/c Fridays are too sweet to spoil. Just kidding…please let us know either way. Yes

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-16-2012 11:17 AM In reply to

Excellent!  I haven't touched email functionality (I'm working my way there as I customize), so I won't be able to confirm it for you today, but what you're describing is exactly what I wanted. 

But I'll try to remember to post back when I get there. 

• 03-29-2012 11:46 AM In reply to

Hey Valbon,

I've set up email in Method, and created a button on a screen that sends an email with an attachment. I entered my email server info as my individual user info (we use a GoDaddy webmail server, btw), so my emails are being sent from my particular email address.

The email was sent successfully (to myself), but neither my GoDaddy webmail nor my Outlook shows that email in their respective sent folders.

I do have the Method Outlook addon installed on my computer, not sure what other info would be relevant to you. Any ideas?

• 03-29-2012 1:15 PM In reply to

Hi smohyee,

When you say you entered your email server info, where are you referring to? Is this the same email that is being used to authenticate the account under Customize >>> My Account? Just to be sure can you confirm that you're not over-riding this for your username under Customize >>> Users >>> Step 2 of 10?

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-30-2012 11:37 AM In reply to

Valbon,

I am overriding under Customize >> Users, which is working well.. but I haven't yet successfully set up the general email info under Customize >> My Account. It may be the Users section is working because it's only asking for an SMTP server? 

Tell me if this looks right for the general My Account email info (this info gets me a "timed out" error message):

server address: webmail.cplabsafety.com

(This is a web address that redirects to godaddys webmail page)

username: sam@cplabsafety.com

I have a list of open ports for either POP or SMTP, but they are different for each, so I've left the Ports field blank

And I have selected SSL, as we have done in Outlook. 

Of course, if this does work, I'd want each user to have their own emails show in their own Outlook sent folder, not in mine!

• 04-03-2012 11:11 AM In reply to

So just to update my post on this thread, I did get the general email settings to work by disabling SSL. This has not changed the fact that I cannot access Sent Emails via Outlook.

After learning a little about the POP3 and IMAP protocols, I understand that this is because we use POP3, which is limited to accessing the inbox of my webmail server.

So we'll probably try to finagle something involving BCCing ourselves, then using Outlook rules to move such emails to the Sent Emails folder.

• 03-23-2016 1:53 PM In reply to

• jsenick
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-29-2013
    • Jamestown, NY USA
    • Posts 35

[quote]

I wanted to chime in here since this already works on my end even with the Outlook plugin. I went into Method to send an email using one of our email templates, once the email was sent to the customer (my sample "Amy Smith" must hate me) I went back to Outlook and the email does appear in the sent items folder.

Here's the trick, it's for the email address that is being used to authenticate the account (Customize >>> My Account) … unless you over-ride this for the individual Method user that is logged in (Customize >>> Users >>> Step 2 of 10) then it will use that email address.

[/quote]

We are not using the Outlook plug-in. But can you clarify - Does this mean that only one email address per Method Company account will see email messages sent via Method populate their sent folders with a copy of the message sent?  In other words, any Method user accounts who have their email settings overridden on a per account basis will not have a "sent items" copy of messages sent from Method?

James Senick

James Senick
    JamestownStamp.com
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)