Method Community

How to link a LineItem table to main table to put a LineItem grid on the screen?

Last post 03-23-2012 11:29 AM by smohyee. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-22-2012 2:58 PM

How to link a LineItem table to main table to put a LineItem grid on the screen?

I'm creating a Packing Slip screen, which I intend to be very similar to the Sales Order, Invoice and PO screens in that the two chief tables are "PackingSlip" and "PackingSlipLine", and the grid on the screen will refer to the "PackingSlipLine" via the PackingSlip RecordID.

I've tried to emulate the Sales Order screen to do this. I've created a PackingSlip table without any link to the PackingSlipLine table, but I did create a link in the PackingSlipLine table, by adding the dropdown field "PackingSlipRecordID". However, when I try to create and customize the grid on the Packing Slip screen, the PackingSlipLine table i created isn't listed as a linked table. 

The SalesOrder table doesn't seem to have a dropdown that links to the SalesOrderLine table, yet the SalesOrder screen's grid shows the SalesOrderLine as a linked table. What am I missing here?

• 03-23-2012 9:09 AM In reply to

Re: How to link a LineItem table to main table to put a LineItem grid on the screen?

Answer

smohyee-

For this to work the child table has to reference the parent table, the parent table doesn't need any reference to the child table.

So in the example of Sales Orders, there is nothing special in the SalesOrder table that links it to the SalesOrderLine table, but in the SalesOrderLine table you will find a field called SalesOrderRecordID that links the SalesOrderLine table to the SalesOrder table.

In your example if you have added a drop down field to the PackingSlipLine table that references the RecordID of the PackingSlip table you should have the option to have an attached grid for the PackingSlipLine table. You will also have to ensure that the screen you are working on is based off the PackingSlip table.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 03-23-2012 11:29 AM In reply to

Re: How to link a LineItem table to main table to put a LineItem grid on the screen?

Wasn't sure if that was how it worked, so good to know. The problem was fixed after I deleted my old "PackingSlipRecordID" dropdown in the lineitem table and created a new one, so I must have messed something up on the original dropdown link. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)