Method Community

Issue updating dropdown value using the MethodAPIUpdateV2

Last post 12-06-2016 12:01 PM by Method_Audisho. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2016 6:21 PM

Issue updating dropdown value using the MethodAPIUpdateV2

I have a new dropdown field called ShirtSize in the contacts table that links to a new table called ShirtSize.  The ShirtSize field links to the ShirtSize table RecordID.  I want to update a users shirt size by passing the record id of a shirtsize, but it says that "The field ShirtSize does not support edit."  

I also tried adding a linked field that links to the Shirt Size name and I tried to update that field as well but got the same error. 

How can I save dropdown link

If I have a dropdown link that links to the named field it works fine, but when the dropdown links to the record id it tells me the field does not support dediting.  

I have 

Contacts

ShirSize  ->ShirtSize(RecordID)

ShirtSizes ->ShirtSize(ShirtSize)  ShirtSize is the name of the "name field"

• 12-06-2016 11:11 AM In reply to

Re: Issue updating dropdown value using the MethodAPIUpdateV2

I wanted to update this issue, as I belive I figured out what was going on, but I am now also running into a second related issue.  I think the reson it would not let me update the field was that the shirt size field did not have permissons to be edited.  

How do I make a custom field editable?  It seems like I was able to make it editable by adding the field to a custom screen.  Is that the only way to make a field editable?

Also after I fixed the issue and made the field editable, I than began encountering a pretty serious bug while using the update endpoint of the api. When I try to update the contact table with the ShirtSize RecordID, it works fine most of the time, but every fifth or sixth time I make the call, it returns with a fail message saying "The field ShirtSize does not support edit." I can not figure out what is going on. Is it locking me out because I am making the call too many times in a short period?

• 12-06-2016 12:01 PM In reply to

Re: Issue updating dropdown value using the MethodAPIUpdateV2

Answer

Hi dknoben,

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into this issue. Any custom fields that you add should be editable by default. You should not need to add the field to a screen in order for it to be editable.

In the case of a dropdown field, you will need to select a value that already exists in the table that the field is based on. Otherwise, you will need to add this value into the table first. Linked fields cannot be edited, however.

If you understand the above, but are still having trouble, please email me the name of your Method account so that I can investigate on my end. I hope this helps.

--Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)