Method Community

Multiple portals pointing to same user table

Last post 07-19-2011 4:05 PM by Method_Michael. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2011 10:56 AM

• csmp
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Posts 20

Multiple portals pointing to same user table

Our company will be using portals for our employees to log their time throughout the week.  Some employees will just log time in, while some will use an approval process, and some will have admin access.  So we're going to use a few different portals for this and have links to those on our website.  I have a couple questions about how this works:

1. We are currently using the Entity table for our usernames for all portals.  It seems as though if you populate the username and password in the table rather than going through the registration process, you can log in with that user credentials just fine, but you can log into ALL of the portals that way.  Whereas if you register the proper way it will only let you log in to the portal you registered for.  Is there a flag, or value or something stored in a table that I'm missing that tells Method which portal the user registered for?

2. We would ultimately like to use seperate user tables for each of our portals so that only the users in those tables could have access to the specific portals, rather than all users having the rights to register for any of our portals.  However, we are currently using the Entity table because there is a value from session called "Portal- Entity FullName" {ValueFromSession.spdLoggedInThirdPartyLoginEntityFullName}.  When we tested this, if we used the entity table, it displayed the correct value, however if we used a custom table (say: tblUsers) it did not display a correct value, even if tblUsers contained a field called FullName.  Is there a way to get FullName without using the Entity table?

Sorry for being so verbose, but this doesn't seem to be very straightforward

• 07-19-2011 12:06 PM In reply to

Re: Multiple portals pointing to same user table

Answer

csmp-

Registering the proper way should allow that user access to all the portals based on the table the portal is created off of. So if you have 2 portals both off entity if a user registers for one should be able to login to the other, there is no special flag.

If you have the FullName listed in the new table you created you can use retrieve value from table in conjunction with Value from Session Portal - User Record ID to pull that particular users FullName.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 07-19-2011 12:25 PM In reply to

• csmp
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Posts 20

Michael,

Thanks for the clarification... I'm not sure what happened the first time, but it would only let me log into one of my portals.  Looks like we will move to using a custom user table versus the Entity table to keep the logins under lock and key.

Best,

Kevin

• 07-19-2011 1:04 PM In reply to

• csmp
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Posts 20

Michael,

Just to follow up, for any other users reading this.  Another way to keep the same security across multiple portals is to create separate username and email address fields.  So if you want 3 separate portals for your users, you would add:

Portal1Username
    Portal1Email
    Portal2Username
    Portal2Email 
    Portal3Username
    Portal3Email

and then just one PortalPassword.  You have to have separate email and password fields because users use the email address field to register, and then obviously the username field to login.  Doing this will allow you to still use the Method Default "Portal- Entity FullName" session value.  This is a big deal because if you have screens that cross portals and you were to have different tables as your user tables, you have to enclose your retrieve value from table action in a conditional statement that checks to see which portal the user is currently using, you cannot simply pass the Portal- User Table variable to the retrieve value from table action because it doesn't accept variables (action results).

Sorry again for being so verbose, but I'm stll working all this out.  Michael, let me know if you see any issues with my proposed setup (I'm implementing as we speak).

Best,

Kevin

• 07-19-2011 4:05 PM In reply to

Kevin- Your proposed plan should work. Let me know how it goes.

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)