Method Community

Adding fields to screens

Last post 03-15-2012 11:48 AM by hycari. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-14-2012 7:28 AM

Adding fields to screens

Hello!

How do I add fields so that I can use them on different screens? Yesterday, I had Method customize, and create a field that contains some information from quickbooks. I want to use this field the recent transactions tab of the customer portal, but I don't see the option to add that field.

Thanks! 

• 03-14-2012 11:44 AM In reply to

Re: Adding fields to screens

hycari -

The "Transaction" table is a special "combined" table in Method that merges together some of the key fields of all the transactions tables (like invoices, payments, sales receipts, etc.).  Unlike other tables, the Transaction table does not support showing new or custom fields, so you wouldn't be able to show a new field in a grid based on the Transaction table. You could however, do some actions to extract the value from your table when the user clicks a "Select" link and have that display on the screen.

Paul 

• 03-14-2012 11:52 AM In reply to

Hi there,

The customization took care of adding a linked field to the contacts table which is the same table your contacts portal is built from. This allowed us to add the field by dragging it on to your custom screen.

The screen we were working with was 'ContactsPortal_Home' which worked out well since it's built off the same contacts table.

If I understand correctly, you want to add this to another screen 'ContactsPortal_Transactions' which is displayed as 'Recent Transactions' when logged into the portal. This screen is built off a the Transaction table so that field won't be available there.

So what to do now…

Since you know the customer/contact who signs into the portal, it may be as simple as adding a couple actions when the screen loads to retrieve the value of your custom field from the contacts table and have it display on screen load.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-14-2012 11:55 AM In reply to

Hey Val,

That would be fine, and as discussed in the email I sent you this morning with the screenshot, we'd be happy to pay to get this action added if you have time.

Although we know the customer/contact, there will be many customers/contacts using the portal. Does that change things?

Thanks!

• 03-15-2012 10:17 AM In reply to

Hi hycari,,

I've taken a look at the screen shot. Please let me know by contact me directly if you would like to have the work done through consulting. Keep in mind there's no clean way to get this on the transactions grid but we can display it on the screen for you.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-15-2012 11:48 AM In reply to

Hey Val,

I've tried to call you directly, but it doesn't put me to your voicemail, it instead gives me a different message. I've emailed you. We would like to get this displayed on screen through consulting.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)