Method Community

Updating changes between a customer screen and a contact screen

Last post 02-06-2014 11:55 AM by Method_Adam. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2014 1:53 PM

Updating changes between a customer screen and a contact screen

I am looking to make changes between the Customer Edit screen and the Contacts screen - as the change are made in one screen they flow to the opposite screen.  The information is coming from two different tables.  Some of the fields are linked via QB but I have added fields that are in QB but are not linked by the QB interface.  I have tried numeous ways of doing this - any assistance would be apprieciated.  Thanks,

VLocke

• 02-04-2014 3:53 PM In reply to

Re: Updating changes between a customer screen and a contact screen

Hi Vicki,

I'm a bit confused by this statement "I have added fields that are in QB but are not linked by the QB interface".  Are these QB custom fields?  If so they should be available in Method. If they are Method only fields, there would be no way to put them into QB.

If you have fields that are both in the Contacts table and in the Customer table, you could use the "OnClosePopup" and "OnScreenLoad" events to update the corresponding fields in the Edit Customer and Contacts screens.

A lot of this depends on how the screen is designed. If you could give a bit more detail as to what the workflow is and perhaps give an example field, I can make some more suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 02-04-2014 4:16 PM In reply to

Sorry for the confusion. 

I am in the Customer Edit Screen.

I have added field names that are in the customer screen into the contact screen like the salutation, middle initial, & suffix fields.  These fields are not linked together between the customer screens side and the contact screen side - like the first name, last name, e-mail and phone fields are. 

I would like to be able to go into the customer screen field make an edit change in these fields and have it reflect in the first contact screen only - the one designated as a special type - Contact. I would also like to be able to go to the contact screen (the first one only - designated as the Special Type - contact) and make changes in these same fields and have them reflect the changes in the customer screen side, just above it.

The changes are being reflected on a save but not upon a text change.

I hope that gives you a better picture.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• 02-06-2014 9:27 AM In reply to

Hi Vicki,

What I would do is create the same field in both tables, then put actions in to update the field in the other table. For example, if you are in your Edit Customer screen, add actions Update record in Table to update the contact in the Contacts table using the EntityRecordID of the customer and SpecialType as contact. Conversely, when you are updating the contact, add similar actions to the Customer table to update those fields.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 02-06-2014 10:27 AM In reply to

Adam,

This worked - I had everything but the EntityRecordID part.

Thanks.

• 02-06-2014 11:55 AM In reply to

Great to hear Vicki!  :)

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)