Method Community

Tag Table

Last post 07-28-2014 11:24 AM by Method_Ahmed.. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2014 7:35 PM

• JenH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-16-2014
    • Posts 5

Tag Table

I created a field for Taglist in the New Lead screen, but realized that I need to tag my contacts not my entities. So now I would like to delete the tag names that I created for Entities so I can create them within the Contacts, but I do not know where to find that tag table to delete the names

Thanks!

Jen

• 07-24-2014 12:57 PM In reply to

Re: Tag Table

Jen, 

Thank you for your post. 

Method does not allow duplicate 'Tag' names for Entities and Contacts i.e. 'Client' in the Entity TagList would have to be added to Contact TagList different in a different format i.e. "Clientjen'. This is becuase both are seperate tables and duplicates cannot exist. 

You would as you have suggested have to delete the tags from the Entity level for these tags to be able to exist on the Contact level. Unless you rename the tags. 

Unfortunately there is no fast way to delete the tags from the the entity level. The best way would be to export the fields from method, delete the tags manually from method then delete relevant tags in the export file (blanking out the TagList fields) and update via import.  

See steps below:

1: Export 'Fullname', 'RecordID' and 'Taglist' from the 'Customer Lead' table. This will give you all the tags and customer names from Method in a spreadsheet.

2: Delete the tags from the spreadsheet leaving the fields empty. (However if you want to move the tags over from here you may want to keep a copy of this export file separate)

3: Re-import the file using the update existing option in Step 2 of the import process. (NOTE: Fields will show below this when this box is checked)

4: Uncheck the RecordID field and check FullName.

5: This will now update the entity with the new Tags 

6: Manually delete all tags from lead form. Open up any lead, find the tags, press select, and select Manage Tags. 

Note: Make sure you delete tags only from the entity table. 

Once this is complete and you are looking to manually enter tags for contacts, you can go through manually and do this

If you want to mass update the tags, you could re-import the existing tags from the leads to the contacts. This will include exporting contact information from the contacts table to an excel sheet and using a VLookUp function to match up the tags to the correct contact from the original excel sheet exported for Lead entity.

NOTE: Before the import, any tag that exists in the spreadsheet will have to exist in the contacts TAGLIST in method.  If this is not done before import is completed, this may cause issues with filtering and reporting down the line.

I hope this is helpful. Please advise if more information is needed. 

• 07-24-2014 3:23 PM In reply to

• JenH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-16-2014
    • Posts 5

Wonderful! Thank you so much!! 

I now would like to Export and Import the new tag information for my contacts, but I do not see that "contacts" is an option in the drop down menu of the Pick a Table step of exporting?

Can you please explain how I would Export my current contact list so that I can edit thier tags in excel and then re-import?  

Thanks!!!

Jen 

• 07-28-2014 11:24 AM In reply to

Jen, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Assuming that tags from the entity table have been removed as mentioned above, please see below interactions: 

NOTE: Before import please make sure that all tags exist in method. The import will be successful but you will not be able to report on the tags as they won’t exist in the table. 

1. Open up CUSTOMIZE - INTEGRATIONS tools and select EXPORT a table to a file. 
    2. Uncheck SHOW ONLY COMMON TABLES. Select the CONTACTS table. 
    3. Export fields NAME, ENTITY, RECORD ID and TAGLIST.
    4. Option 1: Manually enter in the tags to each TAGLIST field next to the contact. Option 2: VLookUp can be used here to take the original tags from the CUSTOMERLEAD sheet and place them next to contacts for that particular customer.  (This is an excel function that is strictly used with in Microsoft EXCEL. This is optional for you to use.) NOTE: When putting tags into excel, the TAG name has to have a comma before and after it EXAMPLE  ,Client,. It is also Case sensitive. 
    5. When the tags have been finished and entered into the excel save the excel sheet. NOTE: Save the excel as .CSV. Method will only accept this type of sheet. 
    6. Open up CUSTOMIZE - INTEGRATIONS tools and select IMPORT a table to a file.
    7. Uncheck ONLY COMMON TABLES and select CONTACTS. 
    8. Choose the selected file that was saved with the updated tags. Click IMPORT FILE
    9. In step 2, select the UPDATE existing records option.
    10. Make sure only RECORD ID is selected. and scroll down to STEP 3
    11. Only have RecordID and  as import TO EXISTING FIELD. All others can be Do not import. 
    12. Go to STEP 4 and IMPORT DATA
    13. Select BEGIN import. 
    14. A message will update you on the success of the import. 
    15. Select Finished if you are happy with this. 

Please advise if you have any further issue. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)