Method Community

Dropdown confusion

Last post 11-15-2016 12:12 PM by Method_Jim. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-25-2015 3:51 PM

Dropdown confusion

Had my 1 hour free customization tutorial this morning. Most of that was conducted in Method CRM, but I'm primarily using Method:Donor. I've been trying to populate a dropdown menu with a list of values and am striking out. It appears to me that in CRM this is done in the screen designer by creating default text/values. In Donor, the video tutorial said that you actually have to create a new table. My attempt to do this in Preferences/TableFields/CustomerCategory(mine) has produced a dropdown menu with five blank rows. In other words, it doesn't actually display any of the vaules from the new table I created called CustomerCategoryValues.

• 08-26-2015 9:47 AM In reply to

Re: Dropdown confusion

Hello,

The dropdowns should be edited to show the columns you want displayed. If you go into the Design Mode for that screen click on the dropdown, to the right you will see a subsection 'Columns' - in there add the Column you want listed, (e.g. 'Name').

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 08-26-2015 10:57 AM In reply to

Thanks.

When I created the table for the dropdown list, why did it automatically create an integer field called Record_ID?

• 08-26-2015 11:46 AM In reply to

Hey,

The Record_ID constraint uniquely identifies each record in a table. Record_ID must contain UNIQUE values, which Method handles for you.

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 08-26-2015 12:40 PM In reply to

So Record_ID is a default field present in every table?

• 08-26-2015 12:52 PM In reply to

Yes, that is correct.

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 08-26-2015 12:59 PM In reply to

Thanks!

• 09-01-2015 2:40 PM In reply to

Trying to get this info to display on another screen, my edited/copied version of View Contact. I've added a row in my View Contact screen and dragged the CustomerCategory field into it.

So, I just created a new contact and made a selection in my CustomerCategory field using the DropDown menuHowever, when I view this contact, there is nothing displayed. What am I doing wrong now? 

• 09-02-2015 1:26 PM In reply to

Hey,

You View Contact and choose an option from the Drop Down (CustomerCategory) > Save.

You go back into that Contact and that option you chose is not displaying on the drop down.

Did I understand that correctly?

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 09-02-2015 1:41 PM In reply to

Not quite. Drop Down menu (CustomerCategory) appears on New Contact screen. Read-only field (CustomerCategory) is empty on View Contact screen.

• 09-02-2015 2:20 PM In reply to

Hey,

Verify on the 'View Contact' screen that the drop down has the columns added.

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 09-02-2015 2:29 PM In reply to

The CustomerCategory field is not formatted as a dropdown on View Contact (read-only, as previously mentioned).

• 09-04-2015 9:59 AM In reply to

Still waiting for your reply on this. To be clear, I don't want this data to appear in dropdown format on View Contact. I only want to display it.

• 09-04-2015 11:45 AM In reply to

Hey,

Sorry about that, from what I read - you are following the correct flow. Here is what I did:

- Add new drop down field to the Contacts table (Colours).

- Add that field to Edit Contact screen

- I added the Field to my View Contact screen: (in your case you will make it Disabled).

Now go into a Contact and click on 'Edit Contact' and you should have the option to choose from the dropdown. Click on Save will send you back into the View Contact screen that will have that field on screen.

Please test this and follow up with the outcome.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 09-04-2015 12:30 PM In reply to

I already had the dropdown working in the New Contact screen. Not worrying about Edit Contact at this point.

I have already added the CustomerCategory field to the View Contact screen. I dragged it from the Fields list in the right column of screen designer. It doesn't display the selection I made and saved in the New Contact screen.

Why would I make is disabled?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >